Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:29 PM   #1

Iam looking to get an lcd monitor to replace my 17" CRT (nothing wrong with it, butthe boss has agreedto the purchaseand I would like the desk space back).

I know I have lots of reviews to read, but does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for, in either a 17" or 19" lcd. ie contrast ratio, brightness, native screen size etc?

Also, should I be looking at widescreen or square?

Help and opinions much appreciated as I will be going to PC World/Argos/Tesco tomorrow.

This is the one I am interested in http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/670222

Thanks again

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:23 PM   #2

Darren-

We travel so much I no longer have a desktop computer setup. I just use my laptop for everything. I took a look at your proposed LCD Monitor and it looks fine to me.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:59 PM   #3

Darren,

It really depends on what you are going to use it for. If you plan to view video on it a fast refresh rate (12 ms is good, 8 ms is better) can be important. The refresh rate is also critical for gaming but I doubt your boss cares about that (I am still trying to convince the IT guys at work to put Call of Duty 2 on the server :-)).

Brightness is important but your work environment dictates how important. My home computer is in a room with only one window, the brightness level is not as important to me. If your office is very brightly lit having a very bright monitor will be more important.

Remember that LCD monitors only look their best at their native resolution, this is the highest resolution the monitor can achieve. If your video card or on-board video adaptor do not support the native resolution of a widescreen the monitor will not look its best.

Contrast Ratio seems to be a similar concept to dynamic range in photography. A greater range is better but from reviews I have seen a high contrast ratio does not neccessarily translate into a good review.

If your computer has a DVI adaptor on the video card look for a monitor with that accepts it. LCD monitors work in digital. A VGA adaptor translates the signal back into analog and then back into digital again for the monitor. DVI takes the signal in digital straight from your computer to the monitor. If you don't have DVI out on your video card you need a monitor with a VGA 15 pin D-Sub connector (the standard monitor connector for years). There are adaptors if your monitor and computer do not match but it is best to get the right model in the first place.

Other features to look for include a model that can adjust veiwing height vertically to suit you, one that allows decent viewing from an angle (all LCDs look best viewed straight on, some handle angled viewing better than others), and possibly one that allows the monitor to be rotated 90 degrees if there are times when a tall skinny display would be a benefit for the kind of work you do.

There are lots of places to check reviews on any particular model, though I could not find any reviews on the one you posted. The specs listed appear to be quite good but it does not list what kind of connector is used to hook it to the computer.

My monitor is a Dell 2405 widescreen, I have been quite happy with it but it is larger than what you are looking for. If they have Viewsonics in the UK you might look at one, Viewsonic often ranks highly in monitor reviews. If you can buy in a store rather than online the best thing is to look at the monitor and see if it works for you.

Hope that helps,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:08 PM   #4

Hi,

The best colour reproduction has LCD monitors with S-IPS TFT panels. They are quite expensive though and their latency time is quite slow, however if you don't play games on your PC, it is not important.

Very important thing of LCD monitor is it's contrast ration. 500:1 is just average. Good LCD monitors manage to produce 1000:1 or 1500:1 contrast ratio. S-IPS matrixes are even capable for more.

Also colour reproduction accuracy is an important thing. Unfortunately, not a lot manufacturers adjust precisely their monitors. Lately Samsung, Philips monitors are quite precisely calibrated for colour accuracy. I've made this conclusion reading various LCD monitor reviews on inet.

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:59 AM   #5

Thanks for your feedback guys Iwill check out the connections etc in the shop today, and see it in the flesh to check if it is what I want. The boss (she who must be obeyed) has implied that this is the last thing I need for my photography/computer hobby.

We'll see.....

Darren
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:34 AM   #6

:lol:Ahhhh, I did not catch that it was THAT kind of boss!
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

Went to the store and couldn't see the advent one, so looking at the ones on display I chose this one instead http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/...p;category_oid=

Seems to be accurate - also bought a new printer as well - Epson R220 - good colour reproduction.

Darren