Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1

Hello All,

I just started taking photos with my new *ist DL with 18-55mm kit lens and found that the images are not sharpt at all. The images look granulated and not even close to the quality of pictures I took on regular P&S camera.

I am not sure if this is the problem with the camera, or the settings. Please advise me on how to counter act this problem.

Thepictureis taken with Aperture Priority mode, f/11 and shutter speed of 1000.

flykewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:47 PM   #2

It appears you have the ISO set to 3200... if you have a shutter speed of 1000 you should still be able to get a high enough shutter speed to prevent blur by using ISO 200 or 400. Try turning your ISO down a bit, that should help a lot... The same image could have been shot by using f/11, and 1/125 at ISO 400 and you would have a lot less grain.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:55 AM   #3

The second photo also looks like the focus was not on the flowers. I had to get used to standing back more than I was used to when focusing with it.

Another thing that can lead to additional noise is underexposing a picture. Many software programs can take an underexposed picture and brighten it, but only up to a point. The more underexposed the picture is, the more noise will be visible when you lighten it (and while some software programs are better than others at this, there is a limit to how much can be done even with the best software). It won't be as obvious if you shoot with lower ISOs.

Take a couple of pictures of a street scene or something like thaton a bright day using 200 ISO. Then, if those are good, gradually push your camera and see what it can do.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

You already have received good advice from two forum members. Let me also recommend that you set all camera functions at the default mode (see your owner's manual) and try again. If you purchased you camera at a local store, try taking it back for a check-up. You might also consider taking your camera to a local camera store (Ritz is a good choice) and asking them to take a look at it. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:30 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for your advice. I took a sample picture for a magazine on my desk with a low ISO and found that the difference. I will take a picture in the street as suggested by mtngal and post it here.

Also, I did purchase the camera from an online store. So, I am not sure of where to get it checked. By the way, can you please suggest me where to get an extended warranty for the camera from?

Thank you.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6

I am excited. I made changes on the ISO settings on the camera and took a picture last night for my room mates birthday. I also took the same picture using a P&S camera and found that DL delivers a far better picture.

I will take more Photographs over the weekend and post them here.

In the mean time, you can look at the comparisons of pictures from two cameras.

*ist DL with ISO-400, f/4.5, 1/60 shutter speed.
www.wright.edu/~yelamarthi.2/Photos/IMGP0282.JPG

Photo from Kodak Z740, ISO-140, f/2.8, 1/60 shutter speed
http://www.wright.edu/~yelamarthi.2/Photos/102_1837.JPG

Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:38 AM   #7

flykewl wrote:
Quote:
In the mean time, you can look at the comparisons of pictures from two cameras.

*ist DL with ISO-400, f/4.5, 1/60 shutter speed.
http://www.wright.edu/~yelamarthi.2/Photos/IMGP0282.JPG

Photo from Kodak Z740, ISO-140, f/2.8, 1/60 shutter speed
http://www.wright.edu/~yelamarthi.2/Photos/IMGP0282.JPG

Flykewl, unfortunately both links are to the same picture. Click "edit" and change one of them, I'd like to see what you meant to show!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:40 AM   #8
TDN

Glad you figured it out.

You'll really start seeing the advantages of a DSLR system over a P&S once you start to go outside and really get into photography.

Have fun exploring your DL

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:37 AM   #9

Sorry about the incorrect links. I fixed them now. Thanks for the headsup.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:12 PM   #10

Now that I can compare I understand why we have yet another happy Pentaxian in the group. Now let us see your development as a photographer through posted pictures, looking forwards to that!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote