Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1

I need help with my new Pentax istDL = the pictures I take all come out very dark. I love the camera, and the way it fits in my hands. My first , film, SLR camera was a Pentax, and I almost bought a Nikon digital SLR, but, after reading the review here on Steve s forum I decided to go with the Pentax. But the photos tend to come out very dark, regardless of how set it. Anyone have any advice for a Digital SLR newbie I have a smaller digi=cam, but decided to upgrade to the SLR now I am not so sure it was a good idea.
nikita356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:37 AM   #2

First of all:

1) If you mean flash pictures make sure that you are within the range of the flash, it is rather small like all built in flash units.

2) Make sure the camera is in Program mode (this applies to A, F, FA or DA Pentax lenses). If there is an aperture ring set it on A. Check the images on computer to make sure it isn't just a dark LCD (the LCD brightness is in the Menu). If they are dark then set the exposure compensation to overexpose (set this one step at a time until you get the pictures to look like you want them to. (Use the histogram to check exposure, if you are not familiar with this there are many good tutorials on the web).

If this is not clear then post back with more details about lenses used and so on, the more we know the more we can help.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3

Nitkita-

There has to be a reason why your DL model seems to be under exposing. I am sure that you have read Ira's excellent post to you just above. To help solve this problem, we could ask all kinds of questions, but let's take a somewhat different approach.

Take the DLCcamera Manual in hand and take a look at several items and their explanations.

(1) Exposure Compensation. If your camera had been been on the dealer's shelf for awhile, another buyer could have changed the Exposure Compensation to the -side of the settings, up to as much as -2.0. You want to return it to zero.

(2) The Fn switch on the back of the DL camera. Pressing that button while in the camera's record mode will display four different setting possibilities.

(3) The Mode Selector Knob. Are you in the P for program mode, as Ira had asked about?

(4) Review the Camera Set Up and Taking a Photo pages.

Finally, take it to your dealer and have him cross check the settings.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4

Nikita356, welcome to the forum. What lens are using? Can you post an example? One thing I can recommend trying is to set the camera back to its default settings. This can be accomplished from the Setup menu. It's the last entry in setup. Page 171 of your manual.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:21 AM   #5

You guys amaze me, I am (yes, I must admit it) not a really good "reader of manuals". Page references!!! I am impressed.

nikita356, these are definitely the people to get you on the road to photographic enjoyment.

One more comment, I also own a DL and found an interesting point about digital cameras. When I upgraded from a 3.1MP Pentax Optio 33L to a 6MP Fuji S7000 I did not like the results at first, until I really started to see the image quality in larger prints. When I got the DL I also was disappointed at first, finding the images from the Fuji to be more pleasing, until I started to see the image quality in prints. I think that in my case I expected the difference to jump out at me, only when Irecognized the subtle improvements in detail and tone did I learn to appreciate the improved images. The DL (like most *ist series Pentax DSLRs) does tend toward underexposure but with a little more practice I am sure you will enjoy the results. The difference in image quality between the Pentax and the Nikon is insignificant, my advice to anyone regarding brand choice is to pick them up and use them in the store and make your choice based on features, handling and your budget (unless you already have lenses in a particular mount that you wish to use). I have friends that own Canon, Olympus and Fuji DSLRs and I would be happy with either (this is not an omission, I actually do not have any acquaintances who own Nikon, but there are two who will buy Nikon soon, they are waiting for the new camera which will be announced in a few days).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I don't have 24-hour internet right now, so am slow to respond, but, will follow up with your requests (for posted photo) and suggestions. (I did realize after I posted that more info would have helped. Sorry for being less than complete, and thanks for the advice.)
nikita356 is offline   Reply With Quote