Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:35 PM   #11

Crash - what a neat idea! I never thought of that - using the test button to fire the flash off-camerawhile taking a long exposure, so that the camera would capture both the movement and the light. Thanks!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:37 PM   #12

Ira - forgot to mention how your photo looked like it should have been taken years ago.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:46 PM   #13

Many thanks to all for sharing your Festival experiences. Thanks to crash for an excellent suggestion for enhancing mtngal's last photo. Could it not have been also done by using Second Curtain Flash. I think that would also work nicely.

Mtngal-Thanks for posting a lovely set of photos that captured the spirit of your Festival.

Ira-Thanks to you as well for sharing that pseudo 1930's Amelia Earhart photo. I believe that you have caught the spirit of that era quite nicely.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:57 PM   #14

Mtngl, we use "paint by flash" at my work every night that we do jobs. I don't have to do it so much now that we have gone over to digital.

Most timed exposures are under 15 secs now with the (dare I say it) D200, where as when I was using the PENTAX 35mm K1000 some of my exposures where 8 minutes.

It Leaves a lot of time to wander along the scene and paint in the important bits with flash or a powerful torch (flashlight).

I will try and hunt out some old 35mm prints and scan them (if I can find any) when I go back to work next week.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:46 PM   #15

mtngal,

I enjoyed your post of your town festival. I liked the shots of the ferris wheel at night and the other carnival rides.

Very well done.

GreatGrayOwl/Brad
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:43 PM   #16

I really like the ferris wheel and the moon shot!

On the last shot, I try to find some solid object to put the camera on when I do those without a tripod and then manipulate the shutter speed to where I want if for the effect I want.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:29 AM   #17

Nice work. Fiesta1 is excellent and a second shot with a slower speed would have shown the sense of movement.

Fiesta11 has excellent lighting and a great shot too. The slow I think Fiesta4 I really like.

How lucky you are to be lights-free. I die for the day I will come across such an area so I can take some timed-exposures of the stars.

Thanks for sharing some very nice stuff.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:03 PM   #18

Thanks for the complements!

It's interesting that you would bring up taking a slower shot of the tilted wheel-thing. I tried a number of different ones, and didn't like the slower ones - they just looked blurred, rather than giving it a sense of motion.

Haven't I given you a great excuse to visit Los Angeles and SoCal? Come some weekendwhen there's a new moon and camp at theChula Vistacampground on Mt. Pinos,right by where all the amateur photographers set up - there's a large group who set up in a parking lot and have these really lovely, big telescopes. It's quite something! Oh, since it is around 8,000 feet elevation, summer is better than winter (where accessibility could be a problem due to snow).