Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:00 PM   #1

Found this about a month agoat the Missouri Botanical Gardens in St. Louis. Finally, understanding how to post attachments (I know, I am a loser, it's my world & I'm ok with it!:G)
Attached Images

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:59 PM   #2

Hi wadue

All your other Comments Aside. Excellent Shot. There is a learning Curve on every forum. I still cannot get used to the fact that there is only partial support for Firefox In This forum

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:55 PM   #3

Agree! (Edit: About the picture. What is Firefox?)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:40 PM   #4

Interesting photo - very nice.

Kjell - firefox is another web browser. Some people prefer it to Explorer or Netscape because it is less likely to pick up unexpected bad things when surfing the net. While it's security seems to be safer, some web sites don't always work with it. I've looked at it once or twice, but haven't really used it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:27 AM   #5

I use Firefox exclusivley and have yet to hit a website that it hasn't displayed properly and by the way no annoying pops ups either.

Wadue, Love the pic, maybe a fraction slower shutter (if possible) to get that lovely misty water, but you might have already tried that and I know it can be difficult to get it down that slow without a ND filter.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:03 AM   #6

Crashman

I cannot For The life of me get Cut and paste to work with this Forum using FF. If i switch To IE than I can use cut and paste normally.
Other than here and one other Forum i occasionally frequent, Firefox works fine on all the sites i use

Kjell
Firefox as Mtgal has said is another Web browser. It is open Sorce and When a Venerability is Found it is almost immediaty Taken care of by the opensource Community. Some of the other feature i like are Tabbed browsing and the ability to add Extensions. Each extension adds some funtionality to the browser. For example Forcastfox Adds a weather Bar to the browser and you can add up to 3 days Forcasts. there are many more as well as themes to change the look of your Browser
If you are interested Check out www.mozilla.org.

Phil

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I use Firefox exclusivley and have yet to hit a website that it hasn't displayed properly and by the way no annoying pops ups either.

Wadue, Love the pic, maybe a fraction slower shutter (if possible) to get that lovely misty water, but you might have already tried that and I know it can be difficult to get it down that slow without a ND filter.

Crash
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
TDN

The main differences between firefox and IE won't be that noticable by the regular user. (although I do think it is a more handy browser, once you get to know it)

The biggest advantage of firefox is for the webdesigners. Firefox will actually listen to what the encoder of the webpage typed, and so it is easier to track bugs in your webpage.
Whereas Internet Explorer will often "fill up the blanks" by itself, and so "bypassing" the encoder, with some weird bugs and design alterations as a result.

I have a little footnote on my website, tdn9.be, if you're using IE it says: "You are using Internet Explorer, do every webdesigner in the world a favour and get firefox! http://www.getfirefox.com"

Sorry for all the technical talk, but I'm in computer science, so blame it on that :lol:

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8

Since we have gone off-subject I have a comment for TDN. I noticed your comment on your website - spoken like a true programmer.

My opinion is, we shouldn't be doing programmers any favours. It is MY choise to use whatever browser or application I want and if you produce something I want to buy then work your rear off and make it compatible with what I WANT.

Back on subject, does anyone know what that object in the picture is? Could it be some kind of feeder?

On the picture itself, well done, it is so surreal.

EDIT: Great capture of the water.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:41 PM   #9

Sorry guys, I should have explained the shot a little more than nothing. The Missouri Botanical Gardens across the river from me in St. Louis is sponsoring a 6-month exhibit of this master glassblower, Dale Chiluly (http://www.mobot.org/chihuly/). The shot itself was with the kit lens at 55mm...200iso...1/10...f8...still shooting jpg though & touched up a little w/ pse3 (finally getting used to it a little a time!)

If anyone gets a chance, I highly recommend viewing any of his work! I never thought that blown glass could be that fascinating but this man's work is so beautiful that it's undescribable. The website really doesn't really do the exhibit justice so I'll try to play with some of the pix that I have gotten so far (yes, there is that many!) I've been hoping to get over there in the evening when a lot of pieces are illuminated so there will be more to follow!

The Botanical Gardens itself is well worth a visit if you are ever in St. Louis ... let me know, I'll glad to meet you there (time permitting, of course!). From what everyone says, it is one of the nicest & biggest in the country!

Anywho, here's a couple more ... this piece has been greeting everyone at the front entrance as they walk in ... it's about 15' tall & suspended from the ceiling ... the second shot is what the piece consists of.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:42 PM   #10

& up close
Attached Images