Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2006, 9:30 PM   #1

Roy-

These are not my photos, but I am sure you will be interested in them. They were taken with a K100D camera at night, with an ISO setting of 800, and a shutter speed of 1/20th second, with the FA 35mm lens.

The first photo shows the original image. The second photo is a 100% crop of the first photo.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

That's quite interesting to say the least. Very clear and sharp. Looks the the SR is working well. Can't wait to see what the new flagship can do when it's released hopefully this year sometime...Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:24 PM   #3

sarah, i want the aperture also!!!!! lol
i'm convinced.. the prob with this is it's not in my hands and no post can show that.. you know what i mean.. sorry about not being able to keep up on the flash thread. the past few days have been hectic and i'm 2 states away from home presently. after a long drive. i realize it's hard to set up a handheld shot to compare , with or without SR..

roy
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:09 PM   #4

Well Roy-

I tried! As an enthusiastic K100D user, I offer my assurance that thre SR feature really does work well. An alternative suggestion is to just go to a camera store and check it out. Or better yet, just buy one!

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the example Sarah. I assume that 1/20th is a setting that would normally have shaking problems. Out of curiousity, what would the cut-off point (or range) be for handholding a non stabilized camera?

Thanks,

NonEntity the noob
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:10 PM   #6

Shake depends on the person, really. For longer lenses, the rule of thumb used to be 1 over the focal length of the lens. For 50mm, I can't really hold a camera still for 1/20 - I can sometimes, and more often if I've braced the camera against something. Just guessing, I would say that 1/60 is my limit for being reliable (was steadier when I was younger). If you looked at the exif data on that long shutter speed photo I took at our local festival,I think that one was 0.6 seconds, handheld while sitting on the ground with my elbows propped on my legs. I was surprised that I actually got a couple of ones that weren't too blurred. That's normally well beyond my limit!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:28 PM   #7

Non-

As mtngal has replied so correctly, a great deal depends on your experience, steadiness, and physical condition. As a general rule of thumb in our workshops, I do not recommend attempting to hand hold below a 1/50 second.

But this is digital, you can try anything! The worst you can do is to delete the photos as unusable.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:07 PM   #8

Thanks mtngal and mtclimber, that gives me a little more frame of reference for appreciating the AS capabilities. You know, Steve is in Clearwater which is only a couple of hours from me. You think if I drove over, washed his car, cooked his dinner, and left him with a 12 pack of beer we would get his review on the K100 any faster? :G

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:39 PM   #9

28+years ago i could handhold 1/4sec shots with a 50mm and get very sharp 8x10 prints.it takes being able to lock yourself and some breathing control. today, forget it. basicly it boils down to the person and how much they are willing to train themselves..

roy