Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:31 AM   #11

I'm still new around here, but recently purchased the DL. For me it was a no brainer, with the current pricing/rebate being offered in the US, it gave me the opportunity to move from a Super-Zoom prosumer model to an SLR.

Looking at other brands (Rebel XT, Nikon D50/70) the Pentax DL offered a lot at the current very low price point. Spending $700-800+ to me didn't make much sense as i'm assuming the Sony Alpha w/lens (18-70mm I believe) should be at about $900 online in a few months once supply increases a bit. The Alpha at 10MP w/Anti-Shake seems like a lot of camera for the money, and provides compatibility with KM lenses if i'm not mistaken (basically an updated KM Maxxum 5D w/Sony's new 10MP sensor). I'm not sure how noisy the sensor is, but the Sony seems to offer great bang for the buck (as it should as they are new to the SLR game).

I was pleasantly surprised to find great prices on legacy Pentax lenses, and found the DL really easy to use. I think it's going to be a great starting point to enter the DSLR world. I can learn on the DL, and make all my mistakes on it as well, the only feature I would have liked would have been stabilization. The K100 is also very attractive at its pricepoint, but at that level, the competition starts to heat up. If I was looking in the price-range of the K100, i'm not sure if i'd go for the K100 or try to find a leftover Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D.

In a year or two, if it gets enough use (and I get good enough at taking pictures), i'll probably upgrade. I've been impressed enough with the DL (from a price/value perspective) that i'm definitely hoping Pentax will have an expanded lineup the future when I am eventually ready to upgrade.

Based on US pricing, the DL is currently going for around $530 or so - $100, so a total of $430. I wouldn't expect much discounting on the K100 or K110 when it shows up as they're new, so $599 and $699 respectively. I'd either go for the DL, or look at the K100 or KM Maxxum 7D.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12

Can the DL shoot continuas burst on jpeg fine and on raw?

Also deos it have a appeture,manual and shutter priority?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:37 AM   #13

The DL is still a current model and will run along side the K100D, i do not think that many stores are going to be running them out just yet.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:13 PM   #14

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Can the DL shoot continuas burst on jpeg fine and on raw?
Either or but not both at the same time.

Also deos it have a appeture,manual and shutter priority?
Aperture priority, shutter priority, program, full auto (p&s mode), scene modes, full manual.
Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:44 PM   #15

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
The DL is still a current model and will run along side the K100D, i do not think that many stores are going to be running them out just yet.
I'm not sure if this will hold true for North America. It doens't match up with the new naming convention, and in the US the DL and K110D have the same MSRP. I'd expect the K110D to replace the DL.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:27 PM   #16

intence wrote:
Quote:
Looking at other brands (Rebel XT, Nikon D50/70) the Pentax DL offered a lot at the current very low price point. Spending $700-800+ to me didn't make much sense as i'm assuming the Sony Alpha w/lens (18-70mm I believe) should be at about $900 online in a few months once supply increases a bit. The Alpha at 10MP w/Anti-Shake seems like a lot of camera for the money, and provides compatibility with KM lenses if i'm not mistaken (basically an updated KM Maxxum 5D w/Sony's new 10MP sensor). I'm not sure how noisy the sensor is, but the Sony seems to offer great bang for the buck (as it should as they are new to the SLR game).
Well, you need to add a few hundred bucks to Sony Alpha and get it with some different lense, because in my opinion that 17-70 kit lense is a joke. It is impossible to focus it manually. Rotation angle between infinity and closest focus is so narrow, that it's impossible to get focus where you want manually. Front element rotates during focussing. In one work -- horrible.

BTW, lenses from KM/Sony are higher priced than most of competitor lenses.

This new 10Mp sensor is noisy, you wouldn't want to use anything more than ISO800.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:42 PM   #17

Edvinas wrote:
Quote:
Well, you need to add a few hundred bucks to Sony Alpha and get it with some different lens, because in my opinion that 17-70 kit lens is a joke. It is impossible to focus it manually. Rotation angle between infinity and closest focus is so narrow, that it's impossible to get focus where you want manually. Front element rotates during focusing. In one work -- horrible.
Sad isn't it, the old 35-70mm f4 Maxxum was an optical and mechanical work of art (although, admittedly it did rotate when focused)

BTW, lenses from KM/Sony are higher priced than most of competitor lenses.
Sony always charges a premium for the name, but there are lots of good used Maxxum lenses out there.

This new 10Mp sensor is noisy, you wouldn't want to use anything more than ISO800.
Yes, apparently it even make the Olympus with its little 4/3 sensor look good. I guess Sony is still trapped in the megapixel race. I hope Pentax does not sacrifice its good high ISO performance just for bigger numbers.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:11 AM   #18

Wow that's a lot of info. Thanks for your input everyone. I probably should have mentioned that price is a concern for me, and that puts the 100D off the short list, and I really haven't seen anything that would make me want to hold off a little while longer and save for the added expense of the 100D.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the twelve point AF isn't going to do much for me if I'm shooting with a shallow depth of field. I would think that it's big advantage would come with snapshots and shots where you want the bulk of your shot in focus. My current camera (fujifil s7000) has virtually no way to take ashot with a shallow depth of field unless it's in macro mode. Maybe I want that ability because I don't have it now, but that is one of the main reasons I want to step up to a DSLR.

The other thing I'm looking for is the ability to take very long exposures in low light. My hobby tends to be shooting lightning and other lighted objects in the night. The Fuji is only capable of a 15 second exposure (max) and that's just not long enough for a good lightning shot. I see the DL has an optional remote for taking those long shots, and if I remember correctly can take exposures in the 2+ minute range. I would assume that hte same remote would work on the 110, but I haven't seen the specs for it's longest exposure time.

Finally, anything to say about these cameras/lenses and water. Obviously I'm not planning on taking it in the pool or anything, but it does tend to rain a bit when there is lightning around. I don't stand out in the pouring rain or anything with the camera, but the lens and body would get hit by a few stray drops of rain from time to time. It's certainly not excessive and has never been a problem with the Fuji, but with the removable lens comes another entry point for water. Do I need to be super worried about this?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:23 AM   #19

board is really slow tonight --- sorry about the double post
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:03 PM   #20

I have been fishing around for a dSLR for some weeks now. I had almost made up my mind to go for Nikon d50. All of a sudden, the option of Pentax popped up. I saw a DL in a store and it has by far the best handling and feel. Despite being very small, it clings to the hand very nicely. This (and other forums) also convinced me that Pentax is an equally good and solid system compared to Nikon and Canon.

Now coming the the topic of this board, this is what I have gathered as the main diff. b/w the three models:

K100d: 11 point AF (vs 3 point for DL), AF Assist Lamp, 8 new Scene modes (Night Scene, Pets, Museum etc etc)
K110d: All of the K100d + Shake Reduction

Apart from these diff, the two new models are same as DL, unless there is any other improvement which is not stated in specs.

I can make sense of most of the new features by myself. However, as a non-expert, I would like to know how importnat AF Assit Lamp is? Especially, in low-light conditions. How does DL go abt the focung without this?

ALIP

ALIP is offline   Reply With Quote