Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:03 PM   #21

I have been fishing around for a dSLR for some weeks now. I had almost made up my mind to go for Nikon d50. All of a sudden, the option of Pentax popped up. I saw a DL in a store and it has by far the best handling and feel. Despite being very small, it clings to the hand very nicely. This (and other forums) also convinced me that Pentax is an equally good and solid system compared to Nikon and Canon.

Now coming the the topic of this board, this is what I have gathered as the main diff. b/w the three models:

K100d: 11 point AF (vs 3 point for DL), AF Assist Lamp, 8 new Scene modes (Night Scene, Pets, Museum etc etc)
K110d: All of the K100d + Shake Reduction

Apart from these diff, the two new models are same as DL, unless there is any other improvement which is not stated in specs.

I can make sense of most of the new features by myself. However, as a non-expert, I would like to know how importnat AF Assit Lamp is? Especially, in low-light conditions. How does DL go abt the focung without this?

ALIP

ALIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:04 PM   #22

I have been fishing around for a dSLR for some weeks now. I had almost made up my mind to go for Nikon d50. All of a sudden, the option of Pentax popped up. I saw a DL in a store and it has by far the best handling and feel. Despite being very small, it clings to the hand very nicely. This (and other forums) also convinced me that Pentax is an equally good and solid system compared to Nikon and Canon.

Now coming the the topic of this board, this is what I have gathered as the main diff. b/w the three models:

K100d: 11 point AF (vs 3 point for DL), AF Assist Lamp, 8 new Scene modes (Night Scene, Pets, Museum etc etc)
K110d: All of the K100d + Shake Reduction

Apart from these diff, the two new models are same as DL, unless there is any other improvement which is not stated in specs.

I can make sense of most of the new features by myself. However, as a non-expert, I would like to know how importnat AF Assit Lamp is? Especially, in low-light conditions. How does DL go abt the focung without this?

ALIP

Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:32 PM   #23

Basement

The DL and K100's both have the ability to do bulb setting timed exposures up to 30secs. Trust me when I say you won't really need to go beyond that. I do a lot of night time photography andmost night time shots can be achieved under 20secs.

You can put camera on tripod, set the shutter to 15 secs, then set the Fn menu to 3 sec delay. Hit the exposure button and stand back. then depending on result adjust exposure time and do it again until you get the result you want.

I use this method as well as using as cable release and counting out the exposure.

Just remember two things, long timed exposures under bulb setting take the same amount of time to filter and process. i.e. 20 sec exposure will have at least 20 sec process time before you can see the image on the LCD screen. If you are using the 3 sec shutter delay, it will reset to default shutter if you turn the camera off.
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:37 PM   #24

and
Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:44 PM   #25

Alip

Your info as about faced.

The K100 is out now and HAS Shake Reduction
The K110 is coming out and will NOT have Shake Reduction.

AF Assist Lamp is on the N*k*n cameras not PENTAX.

The K100 apparently has better exposure and metering and better JPG images than the DL , some say the AF is also FASTER than the DL.

Other than that they are very similar, if you are not on a budget get the K100D, if money is the issue then wait til the K110 comes out and compare the price between the DL and K110 as they are basically the same camera other than as mentioned above and NEITHER has SR.

Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:49 AM   #26

Crashman,

I have seen AF assist lamp described as a feature for both K110D and K100D.

Now the question is if thisan important enough feature to go for 110D rather than DL (assuming I am not interested in 100D for SR feature). Maybe the faster AF in 100D is due to the addiiton of AF assist lamp. What would be your guess?

The additional scene modes is a good function. I particulalry like the Museum one as I often shoot in indoor public places like museums etc where they don't allow flash. Museum mode on my Nikon 7900 P&S works well in those situations. So when K110 comes out, I will see the price diff vs DL and if I can get it for just another $50 or so, I will go for it.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:10 AM   #27

ALIP

All Pentax dSLR have a focus assist in the form of flash discharge, but it only works with the flash up. Basically it works like this, when you press the shutter to the half way position if the light is low the falsh will discharge a number of small bursts and the camera will then lock focus. This can be a little annoying but it is fairly effective (some of the focus assist lamps used on other cameras are also very distracting to your subject of course). The D, DS, DL, DS2, and the DL2 all have this feature, I would assume the K series cameras work similarly but you should check this out first with someone who already has one (mtngal, mtclimber).

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:42 AM   #28

With lightning, long exposures are key. The longer the exposure, the more lightning you get in your shot. You just stop it way back, the bright flash of the lightning will come through. My s7000 max out at 15 seconds, and that's good for 1-2 lightning bolts most of the time. A 1-2 minute exposure could get you 20 or more in the same frame. It's not your typical nighttime photography.

I've been a fan of this guy's work for a long time:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/maceomontez/87588681/

The best I've been able to pull off with the limitations of my camera is this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/subrec/

You mentioned a cable release. Is there a real cable release for the pentax's? I've only seen the $30 electronic remote. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=502394
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:57 AM   #29

Guys,

Is there a K100D review already posted on one of the major websites. I can't find one!

I havea very strong feeling that this might be my camera. If the feel and handling of this one is as good as DL, and gives good results as well, I will go for it rather than Nikon D50 (my current choice). Chosing DL over D50 will be a much tougher task, as D50 is clearly ahead on features, even though DL has EXCELLENT handling!

Ali
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:22 AM   #30

For $430 after rebate with the kit lens, how can you turn down the *ist dl?
bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote