Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:26 AM   #31

I know you can't. Its very hard to resist.

Unfortunately, I am not in US. I am in Switzerland and there is no rebate here :-(
ALIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:31 AM   #32

I just saw the phot of the day! If I buy you an *ist , can I stay with you in Switzerland for a week?

That scene is gorgeous, wow!

bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:51 AM   #33

Basement

By cable I meant electrical cable not mechanical cable, because there is also an IR remote which is a pain to manualy hold for two minutes and using a lot of battery power. Withthe one shown at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=502394

you can push the release in and then slide the button up to lock it open, that way youcan sit back and relax.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:32 AM   #34

ALIP wrote:
Quote:
If the feel and handling of this one is as good as DL, and gives good results as well, I will go for it rather than Nikon D50 (my current choice). Chosing DL over D50 will be a much tougher task, as D50 is clearly ahead on features, even though DL has EXCELLENT handling!
I was at the camera store the other day checking out the DL, K100D, and D50. While the DL and K100D are nearly the same size, the hand grip made the DL noticeably more "balanced". perhaps it is the shorter width that made the balance feel better...but, it may also have been the grip (which is different!). The DL grip is more angled near the users fingertips when holding, whereas the K100D grip is curved around so that the users fingers are actually pulled more into a "grip" as if making a fist.

The D50 was actually easier for me to hold. And while the D50 was noticeably bigger, it felt lighter...the K100D felt like a little brick.

I really want to like and buy the K100D, but in all honesty (and I don't think this will break my decision on the K100D), the K100D was the most difficult to hold in hand. I still really like the small size of the Pentax camera's.

It's become a very difficult decision for me.

Oh, btw...the salesman at one of the stores I went to made sure to mention that if I wanted an orange flower to be red in my pictures, then the Canon camera was the camera for me! :lol:

He was also dissing the Pentax camera's (though not directly). He really was pushing Nikon, but I got the impression he was fairly uneducated in the Pentax line, which pretty much means he was BS'ing a biased opinion. Pfft...
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:48 AM   #35

bslayton wrote:
Quote:
I just saw the phot of the day! If I buy you an *ist , can I stay with you in Switzerland for a week?

That scene is gorgeous, wow!

We have a deal!

You buy a DL kit for $430 for me and come over to Suisse. You will be my guest in Geneva for week
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:56 AM   #36

swgod98

This is such a pity I really loved DL grip. And to know that Pentax has gone backwards on the new models is beyond me!

Still I don't loose all hope. Handling is a very personal matter. Afterall, Rebel KT is the greatest of all sellers and there are so many ppl (inclusing me) who find its handling unbearable. So there is a possibility that I find K100 much better than your experience. Time will tell.

As for the store ppl, they will be totally for (or against) a model/manufaturer if they are getting some extra commission on something. They will be lukewarm-to-negative on things where they don't know much about; as they don't want to end up having a discussion on details of something which they don't fully know. Sometimes, they are really gung-hoo about something which they personally like or own. But this is rare.

Btw... I finally found one real review of K100. Not the most comprehensive one, but still, here it is:

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/...fm?test_id=466

Cheers
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:10 PM   #37

ALIP wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes, they are really gung-hoo about something which they personally like or own.
As a salesperson, they should be relatively unbiased and fair to the customers interests. This guy didn't seem to care we were interested in the Pentax line. "Oh, we don't really carry lenses for Pentax. But, Nikon has hundreds of lens options."

I was told by another employee there that the D50 was a much better camera (than the K100D and DL we were looking at). Taken back by this, I called her on it and asked, "What makes it better?" Her response? "Oh, everything is better."

Makes me want to buy a Pentax just in spite of them...and buy it somewhere else! Actually, I should go backand buy the Pentax from them:lol:
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:55 PM   #38

LOL! I ended up getting my K100D at a local shop, who specialize mostly with Canon and Nikon. They only had one K100D, body only, and seemed rather glad when I turned up to buy it. They've always seemed to me nice enough, though a bit stuffy. When I asked there once about used Pentax lenses, they said they hardly ever had any - no one wants to sell their old glass. They had quite a few old Nikon and Canon lenses in the display case, though.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:56 AM   #39

Does anyone have any idea what is K100 (or DL)'s performance in action photography.

From what I have read, this is the major area where D50 performs better vs. Pentax models. I believe that has mostly to do with focusing speed of the camera. I can understand Nikon being better on this. But does Pentax really lag behind or its just a matter of relative performance. Would Pentax still give a substabtially better performance in this area vs verygoodP&S models.

Would appreciate response from experienced Pentax users. I am not talking about pro quality coverage of Formula-1 (or Indy Car for ournorth americanfriends!). But basic quick shoots like kids running around.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:01 AM   #40

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
All Pentax dSLR have a focus assist in the form of flash discharge, but it only works with the flash up.
Does that mean that focus assist will only work if we are using flash. Or we can use flash only for focus assist and still get pictures without flash.

So bascially, is there an option where flash is only for focusing and not taking the picture?