Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:57 PM   #1

I'm new to the pentax forum, so sorry if I missed this somewhere.

I'm not sure if the 110 is even out yet, but from the limited reading I've done, isn't the 110 more of the replacement for ist DL, with the 100 being more of an upgrade?

I've been in the market for my first DSLR and I had been looking at the ist DL until a friend told me about the 100 & 110 coming out. In a way, I wish he wouldn't have said anything as I was pretty well sold on the ist, and the new cameras just complicated my decision making process.

The IS feature aside, which of the new models is more comparible to the ist DL? Am I just over thinking this (known to happen)? Should I just get the ist as planned or is the IS really worth the extra money and wait?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2

From my own quick observations and handling of the camera and the posts both here and at DPReview, I would say get the K100D. I have the DL.

It has 11 point AF, where as the DL has 3 point AF.
The K100D has apparently faster AF, better exposure, better quality JPG compresion.
Obviously the SR is a great added feature, turn it on if you want or leave it off..simple.

Physically to look at they are very similar and most non-users wouldn't see the difference.

I am not sure of the price difference, but I don't believe that the K100D is overpriced. My understanding is that there is alot of discounting of the DL to get them off the shelves to allow the K100D to come in.

Hope this helps

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:16 PM   #3

The only difference between K100D and K110D is Shake Reduction.

Compared to DL, both K100D and K110D have 11 point AF which is also faster, improved jpeg processing engine, it seems that exposure metering system was also finetuned. Body itself underwent some minor changes (better grim, different SD card and battery doors).

K100D also officially supports SDHC (High Capacity SD cards). K110D also should support them when it'll be out.

My advice -- go for K100D. For $700 it is one of the best (if not the best) bang for the buck in DSLR market.

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:50 PM   #4

My opinion is to go for the K100D also.

If price is an issue, then go for the DL. There are things that the K110D will have that are better, but some of them (the 11 point AF for instance) aren't that big of a deal for me. I have the DS (which has the extraAF points)and pretty much keep the camera at center because that's what I'm used to (my SLR was an ME and I've always used manual lenses). I would guess that the DL is priced about as low as it will go at the moment. Think about all the pictures you can take with the DL now, all the experience you'll get. Then you'll be able to make an informed decision, depending on your own photographic needs, on whether you need IS and the K100D. You won't have as much money invested as you would if you wait to buy the K110 (it isn't out yet) and THEN discover you really want the IS.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5

I must jump in also, I looked at the K110 and the price for features is truly a bargain compared to the other OEM. Can the K110 shoot unlimited burst for sports? DPreview says

Continuous Drive
Yes, 2.8 fps up to 5 images

Can this camers shot more than a five shoot burst?

And how are the high iso noise? I shoot allott of night baseball games where lighting is a huge problem.

Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6

Angel-

If burst is a #1 priority then take a look at the Canon 20D's that are well priced right now. But you will loose some features in the process.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:05 PM   #7

Thanks,

Burst is not top on the list, price for features is.

Performance and value are most important. The 20d with a kit lense is still over $1000.

I was reading the five shot burst is on max rez. but it failed to elaborate whether raw or jpeg fine.
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:03 PM   #8

Angel-

The burst mode, I believe, is using the .jpg format.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:03 PM   #9

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Continuous Drive
Yes, 2.8 fps up to 5 images

Can this camers shot more than a five shoot burst?

And how are the high iso noise? I shoot allott of night baseball games where lighting is a huge problem.
K110D has small buffer which is able to hold only 3 RAW files and 5 JPEG files. It won't be able to make more.

ISO noise is very well controlled, ISO1600 is very usable, ISO800 is very good.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:49 PM   #10

I believe that Edvinas raises an excellent point!

Realistically is in the midst of a real technological break through with the introduction of the K100D, the K110D, the K10D, and the K1D over the next 4 to 9 months.Each DSLR camera should/will be progressively better, with more/added features. If we feel that that K100D represents a real break through, then we had better consider the future as well.

As times goes onward, IMHO, we are going to see a whole new Pentax DSLR system take stage center, and Pentax loyalists will be very happy indeed.

MT/Sarah