Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:40 AM   #1

I'm still a newbie to SLRs, and have learned a lot of the last few days by reading posts in this forum. I just bought an *istDL with the kit lens, and wasn't planning on buying any addiitonal lenses for a while.

I found this online (the clearance page on RitzCamera) as was wondering if anyone could provide feedback:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/clearance-pg1.htm

There is an AF 80-200mm f4.7-5.6 lens listed for around $85. Does anyone have any opinions on this lens, at that price i'm guessing it should be fine for learning etc. but I was still curious if anyone has any experience with the lens, and also thought i'd share it with other forum members who may be looking for an extra lens.

intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:00 AM   #2

Hi intence

Welcome to the Forum. I cannot Help you on the Lense as far as info. Most people around here use the Pentax DA 50-200.
Hopefully someone else With experiance with the lense Will Chime in and Let you know their impressions

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:06 PM   #3

The Pentax DA 50-200mm lens is very clearly the better lens, by a good measure. The 80-200mm was created as an low price alternative, but it is average, or less.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:30 PM   #4
TDN

Search for "Pentax AF" on ebay and I think you'll be able to do better for the same price...

Materialistic as it may sound, a lens going new for 85$ probably won't be worth it.

If you look well, you can buy a lens on ebay that is worth every cent.

Don't hesitate to come on here and ask about the ones you found and think are interesting

Also, does it have to be Autofocus for you? You can get really cheap & good quality manual zooms on ebay...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

It's not a bad lens for the money. I do own it. However, hindsight being 20-20, I wish I had been more patient and saved for the 50/200. Here's a couple of shots with it. Shot using shutter priority. One at 80mm, the other at 200mm. Both are ISO800. The only PP done is resize and one was rotated.
Attached Images

Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:40 PM   #6

2nd
Attached Images

Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote