Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:14 PM   #1

I got a 2GB card from ebay, I think it was one of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANDISK-2GB-SD...QQcmdZViewItem

As you can see it's UK seller, says it's UK stock and has 14k positive feedback but:

today I read thet most of this cards are fake, so I checked if it looks like my 512MB sandisk card I bought couple years ago. and guess what: it doesn't. from what you can see on this page it looks like it's genuine thing (in local supermarket they have exactly the same package but cost around 30 pounds more) but apperently it isn't. it still shows 2GB when plugget to card reader and capacity shown on camera shows 691 jpg which looks like it should. lucky for me I didn't go for extreme or ultra II because performance of this card is quite similar to the 512MB I have. so I'm just gonna keep it, but for anyone who wants ultra II or extreme: don't buy from ebay.

here are two photos, on left side is one I think may be fake you can clearly see the difference. if anyone has one similar to mine but is sure it's real thing can you let me know? maybe they look like that now?? the 512 MB was bought in 2004 . thanks for feedback

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:53 PM   #2

Both my Lexar and Sandisk SD cards have an indent for the label, where your fake does not.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3

Same Here!
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4

Sorry about your possible fake. I ran across an article on the subject and had posted it on the Memory Card Forum, see -

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=99198&forum_id=52

which links to http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Fake_Memory_Cards

Also, I do hate to advertise, but I have always found that Fry's Electronics website - Outpost.com does consistently have good prices on flash memory media (I have no interest in Fry's - wish I did, but I don't).

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?cat=-49046&pType=pDisplay

Hope this helps.....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:27 AM   #5

Both my 256MB and 1GB SanDisk cards have the indent for the label as well.� The lettering on the bottom of the cards on the back both are in white and say where they were made as well as the serial number. Your card on the left definitely seems fake.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:09 AM   #6

I can confirm that cheap memory as sandisk on ebay is counterfiet.

We purchased a Sandisk ultra II CF card for about $19, the wholesale is much much higher than that, and sure enough plain as day its counterfeit.

Lesson learned here: purchase it from a retail outlet
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:15 AM   #7

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Also, I do hate to advertise, but I have always found that Fry's Electronics website - Outpost.com does consistently have good prices on flash memory media (I have no interest in Fry's - wish I did, but I don't).
I had to laugh at this - it seems that every time I buy something at Fry's it involves 2 trips. One for what you bought and one for what you forgot to get. Or one for what you bought, and one for exchanging it (had that happen to a Samsung monitor I bought, not Fry's fault but I returned it to another store where they were sold out of that model and I ended up having to settle for a Sony).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:41 AM   #8

I think that shows that you get what you pay for and if something seems too inexpensive there is a good chance there is something wrong with the deal.

That said, if the fake card works, then use it-just don't expect any kind of warranty.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:41 PM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I think that shows that you get what you pay for and if something seems too inexpensive there is a good chance there is something wrong with the deal.

That said, if the fake card works, then use it-just don't expect any kind of warranty.

Tom
However often the case is that the reason you are buying that particular card (ie, Sandisk Ultra/Extreme) is for increased write speed and reliability - which wont be present in cheap, fake cards. You're better off going to a retail store, buying a cheap crappy card and getting at least 12 months warranty on it
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:05 PM   #10

Lucky for me I didn't go for ultra/extreme card, what really interests me is if my local supermarket (ASDA which is owned by WALMART for Americans) sells the same stuff, because I've seen this card in exactly the same package as I got from this guy. I think I'll go and check tommorow. And I think I know why he has such good feedback score. everyone leaves him + just after receiving card and checking if it works, nobody really thinks about checking if it's a real thing (that's what I did). By the way, how long does anyone's DL takes to write RAW on regular sandisk card? mine is about 6 sec on this 2GB and 4.5sec on 512MB??
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote