Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:52 AM   #11

Reminds me of Mr. Ed!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:39 PM   #12

Love both the alpaca and the horse. You can tell the alpacas from the llamas if you have something to give you size perspective - alpacas are smaller. You can see the size very nicely in your picture.

I like the last picture of the horse. The braiding is interesting, and I wondered if he was there as a 4H project. Way back when I used to own horses we usually pulled the manes short and had them braided in little knots, not left long like that. It's quite becoming on him (or her). Was this a breed show or general horse show at the fair? I was thinking he looked quite thoroughbred-like, rather than like a quarter or an Arab.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:40 PM   #13

Sarah, no one was around for me to ask questions about the horse. What a beautiful animal. As far as I know, it was a general horse show, and 4H people were involved. I just looked around with my city born ignorance. : )

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:02 PM   #14

Two nice shots! I am especially fon of the first seeing as I have two alpacas of my own. They are fantastic creatures! I was wondering if if the bluish tint in the eyes is due to reflection or is the actual colour? From my understanding light eyes are quite rare and are a sure sign of blindness. I hope you enjoyed your time at the fair!

Another way of telling llamas and alpacas apart is the shape of the ears. Llama's ears hape a banana like shape while alpacas are more like two brackets () ()
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:34 PM   #15

Did not know that about eye color. I made the pictures because its eyes and the eleven year old's eyes were so close to being the same color. I do not ask forpermission to post the picture of the girl, but I did send several images to her mother last night. (And, yes, I did ask permission before making the pictures, but did not include a request for posting.)

Regards, Lawrence

Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:51 PM   #16

Very nice photos. The l8-55m kit lens never ceases to amaze me either. It is much sharper than I was expecting and very good, rich color. As far as the county fair, I used to be very involved with horses and was an official horse show photographer for several years. (used 2 l/4 Mamiya's, Rollei 2 l/4, Retina Reflex IV, Nikon FM, Contax, etc.) Anyway, I would say the grey horse is probably a half Arabian braided up for a gymkhana or hunter jumper class.

I also used to live in the Boulder-Loveland-Ft. Collins, Colo. area and have shown Arabians at Estes Park. So it was nice to see some photos from a familiar area. Keep up the good work.

Joyce
M42 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:20 PM   #17

You are probably right about the Arab part - I had forgotten that type of braiding was common with Arabs. The 3 photos also show up how important angles are in photography - in the first photo the profile of the head doesn't look Arab to me (too long, profile wrong angle), but the third photo with the long forelock and just the look is much more Arab. Moral of the story - if you are taking pictures of animals that have certain characteristics, make sure you take them in such a way that any faults are hidden!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote