Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:25 AM   #1

Well, my new *ist came in today. I was very careful attaching the lense and went about taking some pics.

I noticed what appears to be tiny black specs or dots in the viewfinder. They appear fairly uniform, so I thought, well this might be normal.

However, I then notice a recurring dark spot in my pics. I take the lense off to have a look and the mirror appears dirty. Almost like if you clean a piece of glass butleft some sort ofresidue or streak.

Now what to do I hate to send it back, but its almost like it was used and resold to me as new. THe boxes it came in were in great shape but not sealed or taped shut.

SHould I try to clean the CCD and mirror or have them replace it? I know I sound picky, but I want to be sure I don't have problems later. IfI need to I want to exchange it now.

I would appreciateany input
bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:27 AM   #2

I would pop into your local Jessops or other camera shop and ask if they would be kind enough to look at it while you are there and give their opinion on what they think it could be. I'm sure they won't mind doing that for you. And at least if someone else takes a look, it will confirm whether or not you need to return the camera rather than you wondering if you should or not.

Good luck.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:56 AM   #3

Any dust on the mirror will only be visible in the viewfinder and not on your pics as th emirros locks up during the picture exposure.

Dust on your sesnor is what appears in your pics and welcome to digital SLR cameras ....we all get it.

It will need to be cleaned and when you see it done, you will relise that most people can do it themselves. Do a search on google for digital camera sensor cleaning and you will find heaps of info.

But for starters see Alison's post and pop into your local Pentax shop or wherever you bought it and get them to have a look.

BTW where are you, you haven't listed a location.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:49 AM   #4

Before attempting to clean the sensor yourself, give this site a good read.

CleaningDigitalCameras
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

Thanks for the input.

So Crashman if I understand right, the mirror is used for the viewfinder but will not affect my pictures.

Any dust or dirt there would only be an annoyance?

I wonder if some foam or plastic gets let over some from manufacturing.. I saw what looked like a small black spec of one of those.

I was trying to read up on the mirror and it seems they can be delicate. No cleaning the mirror for me

So really I just need to cleanthe CCDis what it sounds like.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

I posted this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

which also relates to this problem.

Huff & Puff as I may, I just can't get the viewing screen clean on my *istDS.

Obviously it doesn't affect the image as the dust in not on the sensor BUT it's a tad annoying.

More concerning, is that I believe it's inside the pentaprism & not the outside. The reason I say this is because I noticed that the focus indicator as viewed through the viewfinder was at 'half moon' on one occasion; tapping the camera created a 'full moon.

How does dust manage to enter this part of the camera interior or was it there from the start.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

The link Rufus posted is excellent. I just bought a sensor cleaning kit from these people and it works great, only cost $21.95. I messed around trying to clean my sensor using other methods, including magic tape. (don't try this). The eclipse cleaner in the kit takes off all residue (from the magic tape)and dries very quickly. The one thing I found is you only need 3 drops on your pec-pad. More does not work as well.

Anyway, I would say this is the first thing a person that owns a dslr should invest in. You may not need it right away, but it will be there when you get the urge instead of trying something that may be more desparate and not as good. I also bought a foot pump like the one they show in the articleat our local Bi-mart for $8.95. This really works well and frees both hands to aim the noozle. Puts out lots of air.

Cleaning your sensor is not hard and if you follow their easy instructions, it is also not destructive. I also found with the peck-pad and tool, after you clean your sensor, you can give a quick going over of the camera LCD and it comes out looking new. Removes all that nose oil - Bruce

PS - The kit I ordered was the DIGI-KIT4-F from Micro-Tools

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the cleaning link. Well, my local Camera dealer offered to take a look. If it is something big, $ 80 to send it off.

Pentax offered to clean it , I just have to ship to them.

Finally, Amazon will take it back, but refund only since they are sold out.. and the price is going up again at Beach ect..

I hate to ship the thing off since I just got it..
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:21 PM   #9

This is a decision you're going to need to make. Any way you do it, it's going to cost you money. If I received a new camera that was as dirty as you found this one, I think I would return it. but on the other hand, you should invest in a cleaning kit anyway and maybe this would be the simplist and quickest way to get going again. Micro-Tools is very quick on shipping. Good luck whatever you decide - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:32 PM   #10

Thanks Bruce

Here is what I am noticing in the photos

http://i4.tinypic.com/244o2tx.jpg

black arrow pointing to the spot I have noticed.. subtle, but yes it is there

EDIT: I really like this camera and am not wanting toturn looseof it right now. I may just clone out the spot in PS until I can decide the quickest way to clean it.