Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:55 AM   #1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=502394
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2
TDN

yeah I saw it on ebay too.

I'd love to get one, but unfortunatly their shipping price overseas is immense...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:28 PM   #3

Is the consensus that this is a good lens? I noticed that B&H, Adorama, and Amazon itself are all charging 3.5x the price for the same lens. Would this lens, the kit 18-55, and a decent 100-300 cover a good range to start? Am I an idiot to be considering buying lenses before I buy a camera (I can probably answer that one)? I think I am reaching research overload.

NonEntity

PS, thanks for the link nznhut
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:29 PM   #4

nznhut. Already got mine from Cameta through ebay for about $70US. I have had good luck with my lens but some users here have run into electronic issues.

I use this as my main lens, I get sharp pictures and it has a very flexible zoom range (works out to be almost identical to the range I had with my Fuji S7000). There have been a number of people who have run into problems ranging from focus lock issues to their camera unable to display a menu screen with this lens attached. I have had no such issues so it doesn't apply to all examples. At least one user sent his back to Sigma and received another new lens in return (which worked properly).

Since mine does work here is my run down on this lens:
1 - Optically it is a very good lens, somewhat sharper at the wide end but still quite good at the long end. Colour is just a little more muted than with the 18-55mm kit lens, but sharpness is about equal.
2 - Ergonomically it has a nice zoom ring and a large MF ring which is a little rough in feel but not objectionable.
3 - Weight - it is very large and heavy (huge compared to the 18-55mm kit lens). Along with the mass comes a good solid feel however.
4 - As an IF (internal focus) design it does not rotate during focus so it can use a petal style lens hood and polarizing filters. Due to the 77mm filter size it will mena very expensive filters.
5 - Zoom creep is a problem if the lens is not at one of its extreme ends (at 24mm or 135mm it does not creep but anywhere else the focal length will change whenever you tilt the camera.
6 - It works on all film Pentax K-mount models because it covers a 35mm frame and has an aperture ring.
7 - AF is a little slower (probably due to the mass of the lens) but focus accuracy is very good.
I have used this lens to shoot a number of events and portraits. I have never been disappointed by the results. Would I recommend it to others, only if the electronics issues have been solved. I truly like mine, a relatively fast zoom at and exceptionally good price.

Here is what it looks like mounted on my DL

Thanks
Ira

Here is a sample, totally unedited except resizing by Windows XP, shot at 55mm on my DL at, 1/160, f5.6, ISO 200

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:14 PM   #5

nznhut, my experience was the same as Ira's, but, alas, my pictures were not as good . . . which was because ofthe photographer and not the lens. Used it for my only lens while on a ten day tour of Canada and was very pleased with the results. You can take a look at any of the Canada galleries at http://www.pbase.com/drwindmill , if you like, and see what my images (or snapshots) were like with it. The zoom creep was annoying to me, so I sold it, bought a 50mm 1.4 prime, and have gone back to the kit lens for my walkabout lens. I had no other problems with the Sigma lensat all . . . and the price is really right!

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:36 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback, especially the detailed info from Monza76 (don't post or read frequent enough to remember first names - I think Ira?) I figured that at this price, I was willing to take a gamble, for my research has turned up the same opionion as seems to be the consensus - if you get a good one, it is very good for the price, occasionally iffy ones turn up, focus, electronic problems, etc.

I will post some photos after it arrives next week. Once again, thanks for the feedback - more than I expected!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:44 PM   #7

Canadian Galleries (all of them, for that matter) are beauts, in my opinion!

Dr. C wrote:
Quote:
nznhut, my experience was the same as Ira's, but, alas, my pictures were not as good . . . which was because ofthe photographer and not the lens. Used it for my only lens while on a ten day tour of Canada and was very pleased with the results. You can take a look at any of the Canada galleries at http://www.pbase.com/drwindmill , if you like, and see what my images (or snapshots) were like with it. The zoom creep was annoying to me, so I sold it, bought a 50mm 1.4 prime, and have gone back to the kit lens for my walkabout lens. I had no other problems with the Sigma lensat all . . . and the price is really right!

Regards, Lawrence
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:47 PM   #8

I think they have a decent customer service if there is a problem, and if it turns out to be a good one it is a very high quality piece for the price. There is more metal in this lens than I have seen in any low cost lens for a long time (which helps explain its weight). My DL with that lens is sitting in that little Optex bag right now, just in case I get the urge.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote