Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1

I have just bought the DL with the kit lens and I desire a cheap zoom to go with it. Will this Vivitar 70-210 mm be any good? I like the brighter aperture for inside sports shooting. I know this is manual focus, but will the metering work for this camera?
Vivitar 70-210mm F2.8-4.0 APO Series 1 Zoom Lens for Pentax K Mount

Thanks for the advice!
hornmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:24 PM   #2
TDN

Hi, please don't use that white font, use the standard one. A lot of us use a different theme for the forum, and it makes it impossible to read white or colored text.

Now for your lens, yes, that should be a very good lens.

The early series 1 from vivitar are very highly rated, plus this lens will give you a 1:2.5 macro ratio, which is very good for a zoom lens.

If the picture is accurate, it has an "A" setting on the aperture ring, that means that you'll be able to use full automatic metering as you would with the kit lens. All that would be missing is AF.

edit: sorry I looked it up on ebay, and that one had an "A" setting, dunno if it was the same one...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:06 PM   #3

Ooops! Sorry, somehow I thought that was the standard. Thanks for the info. Looks like this lens may be just what I need for indoor hockey pictures!
hornmanjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4
TDN

No problem

It's a good all-purpose lens, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Can you keep us posted on the results should you get it?

Hope it turns out good for you!

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 5:10 PM   #5

I've just get myself a series 1 70-210 f2.8-4. it really is good lens, didn't have much time to test it, but photos are sharp and clear even when shoot through window (they don't open in my flat). mine however is compleatly manual so I have to get used to using ae-l button. and forget to handhold it at max zoom with shutter slower than 1/250s it's just to heavy (for me, maybe you have steadier hands :-)). but overall I'm very pleased. this one you asking about may be newer and lighter.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:25 AM   #6

Do you have any pics that you can post? I'm considering this lens for a Nikon. Thank you!
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:02 AM   #7

what's the serial number?
i had a kiron copy that i just sold and it was sharp as a tack thru out it's range. some cosina copies were dogs but others were great. i think it is a QC problem with the cosinas.

roy