Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1

I have an *istDL and absolutely adore it.

I want to get a nice zoom lens to complement the kit DA18-55.

I don't need ridiculous zoom because I won't be using a tripod most of the time, so the ultrazoom levels will be basically unusable due to camera shake

I had my heart set on the Pentax DA 50-200mm, but I read some very negative comments on it which make me hesitate.

|I figured, with Pentax's lens history, there must be a cheap and good zoom lens somewhere out there that'll fit the bill.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i'm not looking for the ultimate zoom lens. Just something light, cheap and decent. Must be acceptably sharp though. Life's too short for blurry pictures.

Please help!
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:09 PM   #2

Hi

Most here would Dispute the Claim about the DA-50-200. However, May i suggest that you take a look at the SIGMA 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO.
All I can say is I love it. You did not give a price range, but its around $199US

Hope this helps

BK

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:18 PM   #3
TDN

Here's a 99$ vivitar series 1 AF

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160014512620

I have no idea about the quality though, never owned it.
All I know is that Vivitar has a pretty decent reputation...

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:25 PM   #4

mongrelchild wrote:
Quote:

I had my heart set on the Pentax DA 50-200mm, but I read some very negative comments on it which make me hesitate.
I don't know where you read your reviews on the Pentax DA 50-200mm BUT All I've heard is good about this lens.

See other threads which extol the virtues of this lens.

I chose this lens to do exactly what you want & am NOT disappointed - it's light & compact, produces sharp images & relatively inexpensive.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 12:51 PM   #5

May I know where you have got those negative comments for DA50-200mm? I saw none. It probably was an odd one for bad copy of the lens. Most inexpensive and decent zooms are manuals. If you can manage manual lens, you will be ok.

Daniel
www.pbase.com/danieltong

mongrelchild wrote
Quote:
I have an *istDL and absolutely adore it.

I don't need ridiculous zoom because I won't be using a tripod most of the time, so the ultrazoom levels will be basically unusable due to camera shake

|I figured, with Pentax's lens history, there must be a cheap and good zoom lens somewhere out there that'll fit the bill.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i'm not looking for the ultimate zoom lens. Just something light, cheap and decent. Must be acceptably sharp though. Life's too short for blurry pictures.

Please help!
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:29 PM   #6

I've also been looking for a tele- zoom-lens for my *istDL, and I bought the 50-200mm from Pentax.

This is one of the first photo's I took with it. I love it.

Don't know how it looks with compression, but I can see his hair very sharp on the original.

Richard.

Attached Images

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:30 PM   #7

And this one.

Richard.

Attached Images

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 2:49 PM   #8

I had a Pentax F 70-210 lens that I loved (and broke beyond repair, sadly). It was a really sharp lens, and if you could find a used onefor not much, it would be worth looking at (and does give you AF). WhenIfound out that the lens was history, I bought the DA 50-200, and use it as my walk-around lens. I love the fact that it is light and sharp. I no longer miss my old lens, and the DA 50-200 has now become my favorite lens. It isn't a macro, but if you can stand back a ways from your subject, it will give you excellent results.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:37 PM   #9

Ritro-

Thanks for posting some very excellent sample photos from the Pentax 50-200mm lens. I have had the same lens for about 16 months now and really like it a lot.

Here is another sample photo from the Pentax 50-200mm lens taken this morning.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:35 PM   #10

pentax A70-210 f4. manual focus, big,heavy but sharp as a tack thru out it's range. pentax M80-200 f4.5. a lot lighter, not quite as sharp , but very acceptable..

roy