Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

Hello ,As a quick introduction my name is Sean and I live in Southern Ontario.* I intend to purchase either the new K100D or the K110D.* I have a few questions regarding this purchase and I was hoping you could help me clear them up!* 1.* I recognize that the only difference between the K100D and the K110D is the Pentax Shake Reduction.* Is this worth the extra $100 CAN that I am going to spend to have it?* Would a tripod be enough to compensate if I bought the K110D?* *2.* My mom used Pentax in the past when she was more into photography.* She still has her Pentax ME F along with a SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm lens.* Would this lens be an okay substitution for the 18-55 kit lens that accompanies both of these cameras?* I was wondering this because, if I buy the Body only and use this lens than I would perhaps be able to extend my budget to purchase another lens for the camera.* It would also make it easier for me to spend the extra $100 to get the camera with SR.Thank you for your time and your insight.* It is much appreciated.* *Totally irrelevant comment, the forum will not allow me to space my paragraphs, sorry if this makes this post too hard to read
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:12 PM   #2

You'll be able to use your mother's 50mm lense but it won't be substitution for 18-55.

Because of the crop factor of DSLR you'll have 75mm (in terms of 35mm film camera) instead of 50mm. While it will be great for portraits (I love my FA 50mm f1,4) it is too narrow for general usage.

But that's only my opinion.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:29 PM   #3

balofagus wrote:
Quote:
1.? I recognize that the only difference between the K100D and the K110D is the Pentax Shake Reduction.? Is this worth the extra $100 CAN that I am going to spend to have it?? Would a tripod be enough to compensate if I bought the K110D?? ?
Sean, get the K100D, a good tripod will cost at least $100 anyway.
Quote:
2.? My mom used Pentax in the past when she was more into photography.? She still has her Pentax ME F along with a SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm lens.? Would this lens be an okay substitution for the 18-55 kit lens that accompanies both of these cameras??
Edvinas has already answered that. A 75mm equivalent will severely restrict your photography. A 28mm or 35mm lens would be usable but anything longer is a no-go for general photography.
Sean, take longer if you must but do yourself a big favour and get the K100D and 18-55mm kit lens. You then have a very flexible kit that will serve most general purposes from near macro use, to portraits, to interior shots. It gives you about 90% of the view angles most people use, and the SR technology makes hand held shooting much more feasible.

I can understand not wanting to wait, if you really must buy now I would suggest the DL over the K110D, it offers most of the features and the lower price means you get the camera and lens with some left over.

I think you will regret not getting the K100D and kit lens however. Be patient.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 7:55 PM   #4
TDN

I agree with Ira, be a little more patient, save up some extra money and get the K100D with kit lens, you won't be disappointed.

Having a 50mm lens is great, and you'll definitly be able to use it. However, it won't be as versatile as the 18-55mm kit lens.

Shake reduction is a really neat feature to have, and with the K100D you'll be sure you have a new, top entry level DSLR.

If money is an issue though, I heard that the *ist DL can be bought for a very low price now too, and I can say the DL is a very good camera too
However, you'll have to live with the fact that it's not a recent camera.

Personally, I'd do what Ira says. Be patient and look for a good deal on a K100D with kit lens.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:20 PM   #5

I bought a Pentax DL a few weeks ago from BuyDig.com for $4l0.00. With the $l00 rebate, that made the body $3l0. You can't beat that price!
M42 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:35 PM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I'd do what Ira says. Be patient and look for a good deal on a K100D with kit lens.

TDN

And Sean, remember that I really like my DL, but there are many occasions that I wish I had some sort of image stabilization. The fact is that the Pentax SR system makes for better hand held shots, you still need a tripod for the long exposures or really exacting work.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:03 PM   #7

Thank you all for your sound advice.* I guess I can find the patience to get a kit "I'll be happy with in the long run".* But as my little cousin once told me..."patience is hard!"*
balofagus is offline   Reply With Quote