Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:02 AM   #1

Is it true that the istD kit lens 18-35 is a film lens?
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2

Well, I think it is the FAJ 18-35mm lens. Since it is of the FAJ series, it doesn't have an aperture ring so yes, you can use this lens on a film camera provided the film camera allows you to set aperture in the camera body (eg *ist film body).

Incidentally, I have heard that the FAJ 18-35mm lens is actually pretty/very good when used on film, even though it is only rated ok/good on digital.

cheers
Kenny

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Is it true that the istD kit lens 18-35 is a film lens?
kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:51 AM   #3

the kit lens is a 18-55mm lense. if you use it on a film camera it's still a 18-55. you'll experience vignetting tho. when used on your dslr the the focal length, in 35mm terms, it's a 27-82.5mm due to the 1.5x crop factor..

roy
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4

When Pentax started selling the *ist D they had no specially designed DA lens ready for sale, so it was delivered with the FAJ 18-35 as a kit lens.The lenswas designed for the later SLR bodies (MZ/ZX 30/50/60) and didn't need the aperture ring. So it has the "full image circle". But that also means they are not backwards compatible with older Pentax bodies the way FA lenses are.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:31 PM   #5

OK all agree it doesn't have a Aperture ring and Kjell has confirmed what I was told that Pentax didn't have lenses available then.

Now, what do you mean it isn't backward comp. - it fits onto the old K mount but...

Also, was there such a thing as an ist film????

18-35mm written on the lense is NOT 18-35mm on the digital??? I am still getting mixed-up with this.

Lastly (for now anyway), I don't use the lens much unless I put on a 1.4x on it but yes, it is quite a clear lens.

Thanks
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:04 PM   #6

OK, one by one:

The K-mount fits any Pentax K-mount body, but since there is no aperture ring you cannot choose aperture with older bodies. You can shoot wide open, though, if that amuses you. (I tried my DA 16-45 on my Super A /Super Program body. Yes, the result was a picture, very "avanguardistic" and "interesting":lol:.)

The *ist body was Pentax last top-of-the-line analog body, I think you can still buy one new. But I guess you better hurry up, they will soon be as available as a grammophone or a VHS video recorder.:-)

18-35 is always 18-35. BUT on a DSLR body it will give you the same angle-of-view as a 27-52 mm lens would on a film body.

Why put a TC on a wide angel zoom?:?:?

Kjell
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:17 PM   #7

Thanks, again Kjell.

Not about to go back to film so not worried about the aperture opening.

ist Film - understood. My film purchases had stoped with the ME

Why use a TC - well I wanted what I thought was something close to 70mm but it seems I got something even better.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:21 PM   #8

Yes there was a *ist film model, it bridged the gap between the MZ (or ZX depending on the market area you live in) series and the *ist digital series.

The 18-35mm is an FAJ lens so it is a film lens, the DA series mark the reduced image circle. It would make a very nice film lens with that angel of view.

Note that ALL Pentax lenses (and as far as I know all other brands of SLR lenses) are marked with their actual focal length, not the 35mm equivalent (you usually only see 35mm equivalent used on digicams with manual zooms like the Sony R1). Therefore every Pentax lens must have its focal length multiplied by 1.5 to see how it would compare to a film SLR.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:27 PM   #9

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Why use a TC - well I wanted what I thought was something close to 70mm but it seems I got something even better.
If you want to give yourself a treat when you have behaved well, get a 50 mm 1.4. You'll fall asleep with a ridiculous smilein your face for weeks.

Kjell
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 PM   #10

There's a good link that explains the Kaj, 'Crippled K mount' at http://www.bdimitrov.de
The Faj 18-35 works well on the ist D, Ds. It's better in the film ist body. Sharper image on film. Have no idea why.

Back to lurking :-)

Dana

thazooo is offline   Reply With Quote