Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:58 AM   #1
TDN

Well, I'd like to buy a 28-105mm lens, simply because the kit lens misses just that extra bit of tele power for a walkaround lens... (don't have enough money yet for that)

I've narrowed my choices down to these entry level, and pretty cheap zooms:

Sigma 28-105mm Asph. f/3.8-5.6 UC III IF
&

Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6 IF

I can have them on ebay for the same price, about 100$.

Does anyone have any experience with these lenses or perhaps read a good review/comparison about them? I'm really torn up here. I've read good things about the Tamron, but it looks poorer built than the Sigma, but that's not exactly a very good aspect to judge a lens...

I'm going on a hiking trip to Turkey in September, and would like to take this lens along, in a small bag with the ist DL.

Any opinions?

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

TDN,

I own a Sigma 28-105mm lens (not sure of the model number details), but with a max opening of f/2.8. It has fucntioned very well for me in both my film camera (ZX-L) as well ss my DSLR (DL). It is however, a bulky lens (a bit heavy and has a 70mm diameter opening (i.e. filter size). Hope this helps.

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3

TDN

Sorry this is not what your asking. But May i suggest you also Consider the Pentax 28-105MM 3.2-4.5 . Thats my walkaround lense and it does a great job.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 1:55 PM   #4
TDN

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
TDN

Sorry this is not what your asking. But May i suggest you also Consider the Pentax 28-105MM 3.2-4.5 . Thats my walkaround lense and it does a great job.

BK
Hi Black knight, thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunatly the Pentax 28-105mm goes for over 200$ on ebay, which is a number I can't afford...

Jay, I saw the Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4, and would love to find one, but I haven't come across one I can afford yet.

I'm also not eager to buy a 24-135mm from Sigma, since there's appearantly a lot of faulty ones going around...(see other thread)

edit: both are listed at B&H:

the tamron
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

the sigma
(this one's a canon mount, but it's the same lens)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

TDN
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:37 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Jay, I saw the Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4, and would love to find one, but I haven't come across one I can afford yet.

TDN
TDN, The Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4 is available at B&H for $229 at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

You had mentioned wanting to stay under $200; not sure if you can find a brand new Sigma lens with full warranty etc for that price. Here is an idea...skip groceries for a week: feed your Pentax and not your tummy:lol:
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:29 PM   #6

Unless you insist on a new lens I would go for the SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.2-4.5 28-105mm IF & AL. This is a high quality lens available in black and the silver finish (would look good with my silver finish DL).

NOTE:Thereare also two other FA 28-105 lenses:
1 - an FA power zoom 28-105mm f4-5.6 lens (big heavy and the power zoom doesn't work on the dSLRs anyway)
2 - a Tamron built SMC PENTAX-FA 1:4-5.6 28-105mm IF which is probably the same mechanically and optically as the one you mention in your original postbuthas the SMC coating and genuine Pentax electronics. Note that both of these are about a 1/2 stop slower than the f3.2-4.5 lens.

Just a suggestion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:20 PM   #7
TDN

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

The Pentax is not an option. Too expensive and not showing on ebay. The tamron built looks interesting, but new it's too expensive.

My budget is 100$. That's it.

I ruled out the Sigma 3.8-5.6, even though it looks better on paper.

Reasons:

- No aperture ring, so basicly no operation with the extension tubes I just got (I plan to take them on my trip, you never know...)

- I'm going to wait a few days to see if I could pick up a (near) mint Sigma f2.8-4 for about the same price. If not, I will buy the Tamron (newest version, appearantly there are 2) from ebay for 90$.

I'm not trying to get a state of the art lens, I'm trying to get a decent performer to take on my trip.

TDN

P.S.:
Look at the pincushion/barrel dist. at 50mm...this might be an excellent portrait lens... http://perso.orange.fr/Photo-hh/fich...ges/33112.html