Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:38 AM   #1

I will be attending an event where I will be taking a lot of pictures indoors. I own the Pentax DS with the stock lense and a sigma 28-200mm lense. I think the stock lense will do me fine, but I would like to buy me something better. I dont have a lot of money and I still consider myself a noob when it comes to taking pictures.

I came across a used pentax lense from bhphoto's used bin and the specs look pretty good to me and for $65, it seems like a good fast lense.

Pentax Normal 50mm f/1.7 SMCP-M Manual Focus Lens for K-Mount
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I dont really need zoom so would this be consider better then the stock lense that came with the camera?

They also sell a very similiar for $99 but is f/1.4 SMCP-M. And they have another one that sells for $130 that is also f/1.4 but it is SMCP-A instead of M. What is the difference between the two?

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:26 AM   #2

I feel very stupid for not searching before I posted this. I always do this, I post then I search.

I found most of my answered answered here
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=1

But I still dont know if that lense will get a better quality then the stock lense.

Also another question came up. Since the lense is fully manual will it still have the red dot that blinks when you manually put it to focus?
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:01 AM   #3

I am just as spoilt as you are in asking this forum first before searching.
Both M 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 are legendary. Period. As portrait lens and quality wise, they are great choice over that of the kit zoom. Yet the latter is convenient.
Yes. You get the focus lock on indicator the same as you do with the kit zoom .

Daniel

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I will be attending an event where I will be taking a lot of pictures indoors. I own the Pentax DS with the stock lense and a sigma 28-200mm lense. I think the stock lense will do me fine, but I would like to buy me something better. I dont have a lot of money and I still consider myself a noob when it comes to taking pictures.

I came across a used pentax lense from bhphoto's used bin and the specs look pretty good to me and for $65, it seems like a good fast lense.

Pentax Normal 50mm f/1.7 SMCP-M Manual Focus Lens for K-Mount
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I dont really need zoom so would this be consider better then the stock lense that came with the camera?

They also sell a very similiar for $99 but is f/1.4 SMCP-M. And they have another one that sells for $130 that is also f/1.4 but it is SMCP-A instead of M. What is the difference between the two?

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:07 AM   #4

I have an old ('82) 50mm f/1.7 that came with my ME Super. I've always been very pleased with the results from it. Mine's always had a filter on the front and the lens looks almost new. I've played with it a bit on my DL but haven't taken many pics with it. That lens, plus the fact that I've always liked Pentax, is one of the main reasons I bought a Pentax DLSR.... plus, I got it for a great price!

I believe that the 1.4's are the ones that have the 'yellow lens problem';I haven't seen any 1.7's with that issue. The 1.7's are generally very cheap on eBay. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either of 'em.

David
David_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

The 1.7 would be more than capable for what you are after.

It is a bit soft at f/1.7 but stopped down to f/2.8 it is amazing.
brasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:53 AM   #6

If the price difference isn't a real problem to you I'd recommend the A 1.4 lens. It is manual focus but will give you the advantage of electronically controlled aperture, allowing you to use it in the TV, AV and Auto modes (all modes in fact), whilst the M lenses will only work in the M mode.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:56 AM   #7

That lens is ideal for low-light, and sounds great value.
However ...
50mm is pretty long for a lot of indoor situations. On a crop camera you can't get much more than head-and-shoulders shooting across a dinner table with one. You don't say if you will be shooting people, but if you are you will find it pretty hard to take group shots unless you are in a fairly spacious room.
Set your kit lens to 50mm and go shoot something similiar to the event you need the lens for. This will give you an idea if you can do what you want to do with a 50mm prime.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the reply. Again, I am sorry, I should of searched before I asked.

Last night I spend many hours searching on ebay and found a really great deal on a pair of lense. I found the 50mm SMCP-M 1.7 for $10 and a Tokina RMC II 28mm 2.8 for another $10 from the same seller. The best part of it is that he is local and I can pick it up. I dont know the quality of the Tokina but its $10 might as well try it.

Yes I was kinda worried about 50mm being to long for indoor shoots. Because 50mm becomes 80mm in our camera. But when I was testing out the shots at 50mm, it looked very similair to what my "eye" was able to see. I cant wait to get the lense
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:55 AM   #9

Hi

Can you please let me know how good/bad the Tokina RMC II 28mm/2.8 is? I am thinking of getting a Tokina RMC lens (not 28mm) but not too sure about this series of Tokina lenses.

Cheers

Kenny
superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the reply. Again, I am sorry, I should of searched before I asked.

Last night I spend many hours searching on ebay and found a really great deal on a pair of lense. I found the 50mm SMCP-M 1.7 for $10 and a Tokina RMC II 28mm 2.8 for another $10 from the same seller. The best part of it is that he is local and I can pick it up. I dont know the quality of the Tokina but its $10 might as well try it.

Yes I was kinda worried about 50mm being to long for indoor shoots. Because 50mm becomes 80mm in our camera. But when I was testing out the shots at 50mm, it looked very similair to what my "eye" was able to see. I cant wait to get the lense
kjao is offline   Reply With Quote