Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:47 PM   #11

would hot pixels be a symptom?
i have been using them for a few months
and now have a few hot pixels

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:08 AM   #12

I have no problems with my rechargeable 2500mAh Sanyos. If you're worried, rechargeable AAs are not a problem and are quite user friendly.
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:51 AM   #13

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Lets not bash all the rechargeables because of poor performance by earlier versions, otherwise we would be steering clear of the K100D for poor and soft jpeg images (which we all know was a problem with the earlier *ist's)
Can we knock this perception on the head that *istD's producepoor JPEG images- images are NOT so heavily processed in dSRL (or even top end prosumer cameras).

The image is left deliberately 'soft' to allow the user to introduce whatever element of sharpness, saturation etc is required. If these elements are included within the camera processing, then they can't be reversed.

So PLEASE - the only problem that existed with earlier *ist's was:

1. DP Reviews biased review of the *istDS for slating JPEG quality (whilst praising the Canon XT which produced JPEG images that were just about the same)

2. Users for believing everything that they read or hear
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:15 AM   #14

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Allegedly voltage regulated R-CR-V3 Lithium Ion Batteries.

http://thomas-distributing.com/mpc-c301.htm
Quote from the above linked site'The Mobypower RCR-V3 rechargeable Lithium Ion battery is a direct substitute for standard CR-V3 Lithium batteries used in many Digital Cameras and photographic equipment. The Moby Power RCR-V3 rechargeable lithium battery can be recharged anytime regardless of the current charge or energy volume. The Moby Power rechargeable lithium battery also has a Rechargeable Battery Safety Unit built in for reliability and safety. This Safety Feature prevents damage to your equipment due to over voltage, unlike other rechargeable CR-V3 rechargeable lithium batteries on the market. This battery is designed to operate within the safe voltage range of an actual CR-V3 lithium battery'.

I believe that Lithium Ion batteries used in the majority of Digital Cameras all have some form of output protection - one reason perhaps why they are so expensive compared to NiHi. That being the case, these batteries are following an already established trend & could be regarded as 'safe'.

Digressing slightly, power supplies in all electronic equipment are regulated from a higher voltage, which should the regulator fail, then the equipment would see the full unregulated voltage unless there is some form of output voltage protection.

In the end it boils down to this:

NiHi
NiHi will last for a considerable amount of time taking perhaps in excess of 500 shots. The output voltage can NEVER exceed 1.2V and is thus completely safe.

On the down side, they are heavier & I believe result in slower focusing.

Regulated R-CR-V3 Lithium Ion Batteries
Lighter than their NiHi counterparts and potentially offer greater life but internal protection which could fail.

Am I prepared to take the risk to save a few ounces in weight and gain more shots per charge - NO.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote