Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:44 AM   #1

There are two camps on this subject, Re-chargeable Lithium Ion Batteries for the camera. One camps says NO and one says "Yes...But"

I would like to think the "Yes ....But!" is more where this might go.

Allegedly voltage regulated R-CR-V3 Lithium Ion Batteries.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/rcr-v3-index.htm

Has anyone got these, are they safe?

The price is kinda low I think at $14.97 each.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:55 AM   #2

I get a 404 error from the link. I don't know anything about the batteries but I am curious.

Edit: Is the one? http://thomas-distributing.com/mpc-c301.htm
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:05 AM   #3

Link should work now.

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/rcr-v3-index.htm
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:25 AM   #4

It is my understanding the some of the rechargable CR-V batteries will work and some will possibly damage the camera, which is why I don't use them even though they produce better performance.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5

I may be conversative but given the investment in my camera I am not willing to run the risk with rechargeable CR-V3s. I normally have duracell CR-V3s (these are not rechargeable) in the camera and carry in the bag 4 Sony AA Ni-MH rechargeables as backup.
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:29 PM   #6

Let me see, Camera, $700Cdn, 2500mAh NiMH with Charger, $25Cdn, Extra set of NiMH, $14Cdn. Pictures per charge ~300. I would keep a set of normal (non-rechargeable) CR-V3s in the camera bag as an emergency backup because of their long shelf (bag!) life and use the AA NiMH. Wouldn't put anything risky in my camera just for a little more focus speed or a few more shots.

If my budget allowed it I would use the normal CR-V3s all the timeand keep the NiMH for spares but at over $30Cdnfor each non-rechargeableset they are too expensive (may be a good idea when shooting an event such as a wedding however, budget for two sets of lithiums and enjoy the advantages). I can buy 4 sets of 2500mAh AA NiMH for that money.

Ira, the coward, unable to take a risk.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 4:40 PM   #7

Shouldn't this be the other way around? Ni-MH batteries lose their charge rather quickly sitting in a bag. Use the Ni-MH as primary, with the CR-V3s or other Lithium batteries as backup seems to be the safer route. Downside there of course is Ni-MH are heavier.

Spinx wrote:
Quote:
I may be conversative but given the investment in my camera I am not willing to run the risk with rechargeable CR-V3s. I normally have duracell CR-V3s (these are not rechargeable) in the camera and carry in the bag 4 Sony AA Ni-MH rechargeables as backup.
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 5:06 PM   #8

The downside is they may damage your camera!
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:37 PM   #9

That was the reason for the post. These batteries are supposed to be voltage guaranteed.

If they are regulated to the EXACT same voltage as the NiMH, then surely they woud be safe.

Lets not bash all the rechargeables because of poor peformance by earlier versions, otherwise we would be steering clear of the K100D for poor and soft jpeg images (which we all know was a problem with the earlier *ist's)

Off topic for a second. I was checking the Pentax website and saw that Version 2.00 firmware update has been released for the DS, thats three updates for that model, I am wondering if there will be an update for the DL sometime?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:07 AM   #10

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I was checking the Pentax website and saw that Version 2.00 firmware update has been released for the DS, thats three updates for that model,
I downloaded and installed that upgrade in November last year!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote