Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2006, 9:49 AM   #1

I've been using a Fuji S5200 for the past six months or so and am just about ready to move to dSLR. I've mulled just about every body/lens combination in my expected price range, including K-M and Sony, due to existing Maxxum lens collectioin, but what I've found leaves me cold, so far.

I have done a little hypothetical shopping in the Pentax arena, however, and have found a couple of body plus lens combinations that seem to fit what I need/want as nearly as anything I've looked at:

DL body + 16-45 + 50-200 @ ~$850AR online
K100D body +16-45 + 50-200 @ ~$1100 online

The 16-45 is a good bit more expensive than the kit, of course, but comments I've seenelsewhere indicate that it is good glass, and would give me the 24mm equivalent that is missing from anybody's standardkit lens.

Any comments on the two alternative combo's above, would be appreciated, especialy from someone who has the 16-45.
TiA.

Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:31 AM   #2

I have the 16-45. The price difference was painful when I bought my DS+lens kit, but now the pain is history and I still have the lens. If I hadn't spent the money on the lens I would probably have spent it on something less important, like food, and now I would have had nothing! I think you should think the same way about DL vs K100D.

The 16-45 lens is very good optically, and I appreciate the wide end beeing as wide as it is. But mechanically it is very plastic and feels cheap, when I compare to my older Pentax lenses. I must say I was disappointed by this when I got the lens. I don't think the 18-55 is any better in this respect, though.

Can someone comment on the 50-200's build quality? I've never had the opportunity to see one in real life, as Pentaxians are a rare breed around here.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:22 PM   #3

Kjell-

The build quality of the Pentax 50-200mm lens is very much like that of the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens. Here is a side by side shot of the two lenses.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the picture, it sure looks neat for its zoom range. And what is your opinion about it (I know it's highly rated optically, but will it survive being dropped on a hard floor?)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:12 PM   #5

My 50-200 has been dragged around every day since I bought it and seems to be hanging in there well. I don't know how it would do getting dropped from any height. It feels sturdier than the Phoenix 100mm macro lens I bought (though that one hasn't had any problem with the same treatment either). I've been known tojog almosta half milewith both lenses in my camera bag (one of them usually on the camera, along with two M prime lenses and a table top tripod in the bag) when I've spent too much time at the Botanical Gardens on my lunch break. I've been pleased so far - I think it is sturdier than it feels/looks.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:48 PM   #6

mtngal: Do you have some examples of pix taken with the 50-200 and/or the kit lens. I'm not particularly interested in the kit, as I would get the 16-45 instead, but your images *might* change my mind!

~Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:34 PM   #7

I posted a bunch of pictures of our Fiesta Days recently ( http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80) that were either taken with the DA 50-200 or the kit lens (one of them might have been taken with a 50 1.4 lens, not sure). I'm not at home so don't have the program to check exif to make sure.

I don't use the kit lens much - I tend to use telephoto much more than wide angle. I normally carry a M 24mm 2.8 for anything wide angle, but had assumed that at the festival I'd want the zoom.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 3:42 PM   #8

FastEddie-

Here is an example photo taken with the 18-55mm kit lens at 18mm

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote