Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:00 PM   #1

Comments and suggestions welcome, I'm just a noob.

Had the night off work so I went down to the waterfront, which is where I work anyway, for some photo taking.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:02 PM   #2

A couple more. First is the USS Little Rock.

Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:39 AM   #3

Nice shots, Mike ... take tomorrow nite off too & get some more! LOL!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:15 AM   #4

Good shots, especially of the Little Rock and the Cotter. I'm a military history nut, and I've been thinking about a tour some day of historic ships. I had forgotton that Buffalo had a light cruiser, so that just added anout 600 miles to my trip. She's unique too in the way the Navy converted her from an all gun WWII cruiser to a guided missle cruiser. I'd love to see more pics of her. We;re lucky in the US, we can visit a couple of dozen historic aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, submarines, tugs, minesweepers and others on all coasts and inland. Heck, the last surviving ship that was in Pearl Harbor when it was attacked is now a museum in Little Rock, Ark. It's a little tug named the Hoga. The British Royal Navy hasn't saved hardly any ships, except the cruiser Belfast, the ironclad Warrior, Nelson's ship-of-the-line Victory and a smattering of others. Sorry, off on a rant. For those of you on the coasts, and around the world, I'd love to see a thread on historic warships.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:06 AM   #5

Very nice pictures, and thanks for the history lesson about the Little Rock. I know nothing about navy ships, but as I was scrolling through this thread, my hubby (from across the room)said something about the cruiser. It would be fun to take photos in a harbor - another photo trip. Lets see - a somewhat local aquarium, the harbor, the beach (haven't been to one since I got the DS in January), the tall trees of Sequoia, a butterfly enclosure, several awesome gardens, the roller coasters of Magic Mountain either at dawn or sunset (when I'm not driving by at 65 mph). Not only does having a photography hobby cost lots of money, it can take up lots of time. Great excuse for skipping housework and going somewhere on the weekends!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

I straightened out some of the crooked pictures from above as best as my eyes could tell. Here is also another shot of the Little Rock and also 2 other ships that are permanentlymoored next to it, the Croaker (sub) and The Sullivans (to the left in the background). The Sullivans was actually named something else but they renamed it in honor of the Sullivan brothers who all died in WW2. They were one of the inspirations for the movie Saving Private Ryan. These ships belong to the Navy and Servicemen's Park in Buffalo and for a donation you can freely tour all the ships.

Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7

>The British Royal Navy hasn't saved hardly any ships, except the cruiser Belfast, the ironclad Warrior, Nelson's ship-of-the-line Victory and a smattering of others. *ʊ ʊ ʓorry, off on a rant.

Actually that's something that strikes a chord. In the UK we have been notoriously lax at preserving our industrial herritage, particularly ships. Why we never saved the Ark Royal I shall never know, and it wouldn't have hurt to set asside one of the polaris submarines either for that matter. And to add insult to injury those very few that we have saved (and here I refer to the cutty Sark) are left to rot in dry dock to the point of no return for the sake of a paltry 10 million quid.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:53 PM   #8

jhacker wrote:
Quote:
Good shots, especially of the Little Rock and the Cotter. I'm a military history nut, and I've been thinking about a tour some day of historic ships. I had forgotton that Buffalo had a light cruiser, so that just added anout 600 miles to my trip. She's unique too in the way the Navy converted her from an all gun WWII cruiser to a guided missle cruiser. I'd love to see more pics of her. We;re lucky in the US, we can visit a couple of dozen historic aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, submarines, tugs, minesweepers and others on all coasts and inland.�Heck, the last surviving ship that was in Pearl Harbor when it was attacked is now a museum in Little Rock, Ark. It's a little tug named the Hoga. The British Royal Navy hasn't saved hardly any ships, except the cruiser Belfast, the ironclad Warrior, Nelson's ship-of-the-line Victory and a smattering of others. �� � �orry, off on a rant.�� �or those of you on the coasts, and around the world, I'd love to see a thread on historic warships.
Yeah, you can see the Little Rock and the other ships moored with her here in Buffalo, if you take a trip here you might as well also jump an hour and 1/2 north to Toronto and see the HMCS Haida also, then also you can zip over east to Plymouth MA and see the Mayflower. Make a whole round trip out of it. Haha.

You can find some information about the Buffalo Naval and Military Park here: http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/index.html
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:28 AM   #9

MadMikeSS wrote:
Quote:
jhacker wrote:
Quote:
Good shots, especially of the Little Rock and the Cotter. I'm a military history nut, and I've been thinking about a tour some day of historic ships. I had forgotton that Buffalo had a light cruiser, so that just added anout 600 miles to my trip. She's unique too in the way the Navy converted her from an all gun WWII cruiser to a guided missle cruiser. I'd love to see more pics of her. We;re lucky in the US, we can visit a couple of dozen historic aircraft carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, submarines, tugs, minesweepers and others on all coasts and inland.�Heck, the last surviving ship that was in Pearl Harbor when it was attacked is now a museum in Little Rock, Ark. It's a little tug named the Hoga. The British Royal Navy hasn't saved hardly any ships, except the cruiser Belfast, the ironclad Warrior, Nelson's ship-of-the-line Victory and a smattering of others. �� � �orry, off on a rant.�� �or those of you on the coasts, and around the world, I'd love to see a thread on historic warships.
Yeah, you can see the Little Rock and the other ships moored with her here in Buffalo, if you take a trip here you might as well also jump an hour and 1/2 north to Toronto and see the HMCS Haida also, then also you can zip over east to Plymouth MA and see the Mayflower. Make a whole round trip out of it. Haha.

You can find some information about the Buffalo Naval and Military Park here: http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/index.html

...and then from Plymouth head north to Quincy and see the heavy cruiser USS Salem. And from there head south to New Bedford's Battleship Cove and the USS Massachusetts.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:27 PM   #10

Thanks for the good words folks, here's another one for the road for this thread. Seagull on a lightpost along the waterfront. And for those who are interested,all the shots here were taken with the 18-55mmKit lens or my cheap 70-210mm manual focus Vivitar lens.