Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 11, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1

Hello, I am new to this site and DSLR cameras. Getting the DL in couple days. I was thinking of getting body alone so I could get a lens to meet my needs. Would like a lens that will meet most of my needs without having a couple different lens to change between. I do mostly landscape and general family photos. Also have done some flower shots. I have looked at a few different lens, mostly on ebay: 28-105, 28-300, and 18-125. I don't know maybe kit lens will be all that I need. I figure later down the road I will be like most people and have several lens. Just like to find the one lens to get me started.

Thanks,

Chad
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:19 AM   #2

Hey Chad, welcome to the Forums! Just wanted to say Hello! & warn you of a little discussed condition that plagues some camera hobbists, in fact I had not heard of it until I found this very forum & realized that I too had the potential for this condition.

It is referred to in short form as LBA or Lens Buying Addiction (say it softly but let it sink in:G)It has the potential of cleaning out bank accounts, raising the credit card totals,&ruining lives so beware! It can also be followed by or indepentantly associatedwith ABA or Accessory Buying Addiction! These conditions can be harmful ifnot recognized inbeginning stages so beware!

Ok, now to back toyour question ... you're on the right track ... ebay is avery useful tool when used in conjunction w/ this forum! I've had good luck with the kit lens doing landscapes & large group pix. It's a nice lens if you get a deal with buying the body.

If you want something a little bigger, shop on ebay & ask the folks here for their opinions ... they really do know their equipment!!! A helluva lot better than I (that's for sure!)

One other thing, a wise man said on this forum a couple of days ago & I wish I would have been told this a year or 2 ago .... Get a lens & learn the lens ... don't get it,slap it on, take some pix & get another one. It does take time!

Ok, I'll shut up now, welcome to the forums & post some pictures ... that's what this place is about!

Ron

wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:05 AM   #3

Hi Chad

I would suggest getting the Sigma 18-125 zoom lens to find out which focal length/range that you prefer before dumping big money into a better lens. This might not be the best lens around but I have seen some excellent photos taken with this lens.

cheers,
Kenny
kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:38 AM   #4

HI Chad

Welcome to the Forum. IMHO- If you are going To bypass the kit lense, then you are looking at the right range For a good walk around lense. I started with the kit lense, but Found it was just a bit Short for me.
So May i suggest the lense i Current use and love. The Pentax FA 28-105MM 3.2-4.5 AL IF. This lense Gives me just enough room that the Majority of My pictures are taken with It. For me, I lose just a little on the low end but that works for what i shoot.

Some people Here also use the Pentax DA 50-200 as their walk around lense.

I personally would tend to Stay away from a lense such as the 28-300, mainly because I feel that You are trying to make one lense cover to much territory. There are bound To be Compromises.

Just my 2 cents

BK/Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:47 AM   #5

Chad

You may like to look at getting the DL with the Pentax 18-55 kit lens. It will not cost you much more and its a good solid lens to start with. Once you have got use to a DSLR and discovered what you really need then look around for more lens. If you decide that you want a longer lens to start with consider the Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5 IF & AL. I am now using this as my main walkabout lens
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the info!
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote