Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:28 PM   #1

Another fun photo day, trying something new! As you'll see below, I'm no pro at this - barely anadequate amateur. So I think this might be of interest to those considering whether tobuythe Pentax dSLR and the kit lens.

There's been lots of questions about using the kit lens and if it's worth buying. I don't normally use it because I domostly macroand tele, so I use the DA50-200 and a macro lens most of the time. However, today there was an antique car show near-by, so I grabbed the kit lens and a camera I bought a couple of hours before. I thought I would do the point-n-shoot thing, about the only thing I changed in the menu before taking a picture was to put the camera on natural, rather than vivid. All photos were taken in *** jpg mode (ACR does not support the K100D yet), and I haven't installed the photolab software yet. The only pp I've done is to crop and/or resize and add a bit of USM (like to control how much to use - in my opinion, the DS oversharpens, don't know about the K100D yet). No changes in levels, white balance, etc.

So many of these cars are bright colors, they are fun to look at. The cool thing is that so many of them are driven up to the show, and they have these chromed engine parts, and perfectly waxed (and reflective)paint jobs. They were parked on the "streets" of Pine Mountain Club, so some were in the shade, some in the bright sun, and I was wandering around at noon,difficult light situation.

Notice the trailer? It's actually a refrigerator! Here's a picture of the sign that is a 100% crop.

I thought that was a really nice touch!

Love the detail on some of these vehicles. Many were from the age of having hood ornaments. Here's a ram on a Chevy pickup truck. Not exactly the original paint job, is it?

Thought this Buick had a wonderful interior. And it gave me an excuse to try the on-board flash (thought it was a bit too "hot" for this scene - I'll probably set the EV on theflash to -1).

It was fun to see such beautifully restored cars, and to experiment with a new camera. I thought the results were good examples of what the kit lens can do. If you like old cars, there are more at: http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0Cars/?start=0.

Just my opinion, but I'd recommend the kit and the DA50-200 lenses as an excellent combination.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:38 PM   #2
TDN

I love old cars

Very nice detail on the hood ornament.

The kit lens is a good walkabout lens. Just too bad it misses a little telepower... (70mm would have been better in my opinion)

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:49 PM   #3

OK so what's your verdict. Handling wise, how does the K100D compare with the DS. You know, viewfinder, grip, shutter sound etc. The pictures are great, I wish I could get to a decent car show.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:34 PM   #4

I was having so much fun just walking around and snapping pictures of all the lovely photos that I didn't really think about comparisons. What I thought I would do would be to be that first-timer (sort-of) and see what the camera would do essentially right out of the box. Left SR on the whole time, even though this wasn't a low-light situation.

I had no problem with the viewfinder at all, maybe I'll notice a difference tomorrow when I have both the cameras together. I was using AF with the auto focus mode (usually use center focus, because that's what I'm used to) and could tell when it focused on the background rather than the car - which it did once. It did seem to focus faster than the DS, but that could have been perception (and inexperience with the kit lens) - I'll see if I can tell a difference tomorrow. Don't think I'll have any trouble focusing with the macro lens.

Grip felt the same after a short time - it's a bit bigger, but not by that much. It's a bit heavier, too,but not enough that it bothered me (and as small as I am, weight is a big issue). The controls are in the same place, so I could happily snap away without thinking about things (but I was using program mode and AF, and didn't change lenses at all). The buttons and shape of the cameraare different (not hugely), so it seems like an improved version instead of a carbon copy.

I thought the camera handled the exposure problems (outdoor car shows aren't easy) using the default multi-segment metering quite well. In fact, I think I'll use it more often than I did with the DS. It handled a blacktruck with a much lighter background the way I wanted - it exposed for the truck and left the background more or less blown out.

I did notice that the camera's blinking "blown highlights" (I did turn that on first thing, love having it) blinked on areas that were really bright, but not truly blown out (still information in those parts). I'll take that information with a grain of salt in the future, and as an indication that I'm pushing it, rather than the whole thing is blown out.

There were only 2 slightly under-exposed pictures, both were cream colored cars and had little contrast in the picture. It seems like Pentax has corrected the DS's tendency to underexpose (or maybe I just notice this because I was shooting jpg when I normally use raw).

I was really pleased with the photos I took. They are much better than what I remember from the few times I've used jpg with the DS. I thought the colors were excellent - the reds and oranges are bright but not overdone (I was using natural not vivid). The sign is a 100% crop, not resized, so you can see that the in-camera jpg compression doesn't take out much detail.

One day isn't enough to draw a final conclusion, but my initial reaction is "WOW." I don't think that everyone should ditch their very capable DS and DL cameras, but I'm going to have SO much fun with this new camera!

Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:55 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I was having so much fun just walking around and snapping pictures

I was really pleased with the photos I took.
I see christmas is early in California this year. Congrats, Harriet!

I see why you had fun and was pleased, I had fun watching the photos as well. Looking forwards for more:|.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the pics and for your impressions on the K100 mtngal. Since none of the professional reviewers seem to be in a hurry to look at it I am grateful to all of you early adopters posting your impressions. Very nice pictures.

Thanks again,

NonEntity
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7

My planned day doing comparison photos got interrupted - we went to get a couple of bookcases, and a brush fire closed the freeway - it was several hours to get around the closure (not impressed!).

One thing I did find out, the K100D has TWO versions of "preview." The default setting is not the usual stop-down-the-lens preview (it still can do that). Instead, if the camera is on the default settings and you push the power button to the preview spot, the camera takes a picture and saves it in temporary memory, showing it on the LCD screen. I haven't figured out how to save the temporary file to the card yet - I made the mistake of not taking the manual with me when we went for our unexpected 250 mile drive. They call that "digital preview." There's a setting in the menu where you can change it to the "optical preview," which is the same preview option on the *ist cameras (where it stops down the lens so you can check the DOF). The reason I found out about that is that I accidentally dropped the DA50-200 lens and since it doesn't have an aperture ring, I thought I would check it by the camera. The lens survived without damage (a fall from about 3 feet onto fairly hard-packed dirt), and I'm learning more about differences between the two cameras.