Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:05 AM   #1

Hi, I am interested in the Pentax K100D and I would like to know how much does it cost today without the kit lens and it's high ISO performance (At ISO 1600).

And now the otherimportant issues; I have read many times about the inferior JPEG qualities of Pentax dSLRs, has that issue now been solved in the K100D? And how is the new Penta-Mirror TTL viewfinder, is it comfortable to use? (They claimed 96% field of view compared to the 95% of the older models...). And lastly, does the camera havethe dept of field preview button, LCD backlight, mirror lock up feature (long exposure VR reduction),and theB&W picture effect? Thanks.

Btw, if I ever get the K100D; I would also be curious to know which lens should I be getting for it with my max budget of 900 USDs (including the body). Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2
TDN

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am interested in the Pentax K100D and I would like to know how much does it cost today without the kit lens and it's high ISO performance (At ISO 1600).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
619$ body, 699$ kit.

Specs are on there.

My advise: Don't pass up the kit lens. It's only 80$ more and it is worth it. At 699$ you'll have a very decent starter kit.

High ISO performance from Pentax is one of the best out there (even at 3200). If that's what you need, the K100D is the camera for you.

Quote:
I have read many times about the inferior JPEG qualities of Pentax dSLRs, has that issue now been solved in the K100D? And how is the new Penta-Mirror TTL viewfinder, is it comfortable to use? (They claimed 96% field of view compared to the 95% of the older models...). And lastly, does the camera have the dept of field preview button, LCD backlight, mirror lock up feature (long exposure VR reduction), and the B&W picture effect? Thanks.
Yes, the processor has been replaced and if you look at mtngal's images in another thread, you'll see JPEG quality has become better.

The Pentax viewfinder is very bright and comfortable, also when you're wearing glasses (like me).

There is DOF preview and mirror lock up. (see specs at the link I gave you)

I don't think there'll be an lcd backlight, there isn't on my DL...but to tell you the truth, I've shot at many concerts under low light conditions and I've never felt a real "need" for it...

Quote:
I would also be curious to know which lens should I be getting for it with my max budget of 900 USDs (including the body).
Well, like I said my advice is: get the kit lens to start with. Play around with the camera for a while and find out what focal lengths youre missing. Then try to fill them in on ebay.

hope this helped
TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
And now the otherimportant issues; I have read many times about the inferior JPEG qualities of Pentax dSLRs, has that issue now been solved in the K100D?
Can we knock this perception on the head that *istD's producepoor JPEG images- images are NOT so heavily processed in dSRL (or even top end prosumer cameras).

The image is left deliberately 'soft' to allow the user to introduce whatever element of sharpness, saturation etc is required. If these elements are included within the camera processing, then they can't be reversed.

So PLEASE - the only problem that existed with earlier *ist's was:

1. DP Reviews biased review of the *istDS for slating JPEG quality (whilst praising the Canon XT which produced JPEG images that were just about the same)

2. Users for believing everything that they read or hear
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:34 AM   #4

Wow, thanks; how useful!

Seems to me that Pentax doesn't like status LCD backlights. :G

Anyway I hope the K100D will have it even if all the previous Pentax dSLRsmissed it. (Small issue anyway as you have said).

I can't believe that the kit lens is so value for money, is it the same lens that comes with the Samsung GX-1S dSLR? http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sa...x_gx1s-review/

Code:
Yes, the processor has been replaced and if you look at mtngal's images in another thread, you'll see JPEG quality has become better.

The Pentax viewfinder is very bright and comfortable, also when you're wearing glasses (like me).

There is DOF preview and mirror lock up. (see specs at the link I gave you)
Very very glad to hear all those...:ideaSeems like all my issues are already more or lesssolved).

I was thinking about this lens>>> http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/316/cat/45

For the Pentax K100D. The price seems to be very good to me and the F1.4 aperture! :shock:$619 + $220 = $839 seems like a great deal (I already have a 512MB SD). However I think I might just follow your advice about the kit lens.

Great! :homey:

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5
TDN

Well, remember that lens is a prime. So basicly you'll be able to shoot at 50mm, and that's it.

Personally I'd get bored by that very quickly.

A lens like that is a cool thing to have, but as a starter kit, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have 280$ to spend on a lens, I would search ebay for a couple of weeks, and get myself a nice f2.8 Sigma EX DG, Tokina AT-X Pro or Tamron XR zoom lens...or something similar.

Unless you want to go with primes of course...your choice...they will be sharper & perhaps "better", just be ready to spend more money on less versatility.

TDN
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6

Benjamin,

No camera company has yet produced the perfect camera, Pentax is guilty of some omissions such as the lack of a lighted LCD, however Pentax provides more value for your money than any other current brand.

This article http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/11242002.htmlmay shed some light on the 50mm f1.4 Pentax lens.

Don't pass up on the kit lens, lowest cost to get into decently wide angle.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
<snip> ...and theB&W picture effect? Thanks.

I didn't see this part of your post addressed. If you want B&W picture effects it's best done in software where you have numerous methods and plugins availableto achieve this effect. If you set the camera to take B&W for you there is no going back. In software you can save your color original and change it as many times as you want.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:43 AM   #8

Thanks Monza76& TDNfor the further advice.

Thanks for the advice Rufus T Firefly. I know post processing B&W gets you the best quality. However, if the camera have the build in filters or (Atleast) just the B&W mode, it is great enough for me. I am capturing images in B&W with my Sony DSC-N1 compact and I am enjoying it a lot. :-)I feel that ordinary (Everyday common) photos looks nicer and more interesting in B&W. I hope to migrate to a dSLR that can offer me with more natural colors. (I am beginning to feel rather sick of the saturated high colors that my N1 is producing). Sure, I can turn down the saturation, but sometimes even the hue doesn't look right (Under artificial lightings) with skin looking too pinkish like etc...I wish I could tweak WB settings (Instead of depending on presets or auto ones) - They are just not accurate or pure enough for my liking.

BTW, here are 3of the many B&W images I have captured with my N1, I personally think the build in B&W processing of the camera is good enough for me. I wish to have filters though...(I can post more B&W images if you want).

The photos have been resized for uploading to the site.

Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:48 AM   #9

There is nothing wrong with the jpg images from any Pentax DSLR and there never has been.

Instead of reading about the quality of the images, just take the time to look over forums like this and you will see the jpg images are very sharp from all Pentax DSLR's.

LCD backlights just lower the battery life and are of minimal value in my opinion.

On my DS is I use the in camers color filters it does a great job of converting to B&W and then saves it as a new file without changing the original image.

The K100D with SR is one of the best DSLR's available today and you will not regret purchasing one.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:58 AM   #10
TDN

Well, the onboard JPEGs on the DL are a little less crisp than the competition if you ask me...
However, they're not "useless" as the review of the DS on dpreview makes them seem. On the average printout or onscreen view of an image you will not notice the difference between an image shot with a Nikon, Canon, Pentax or even Leica.
So I agree that the reviews on the DS and DL are exagerating when it comes to JPEG.

that being said, I still think the colors and JPEG images mtngal has showed us on here look a little better "out of the box" than those of my DL.
Of course that's only logical, since the K100D is supposed to be an upgrade
After all, it's been almost 2 years since the DL release, I'd be disappointed if Pentax didnt make further improvements

Now to prove that the JPG isnt all that bad, here's some images I shot today.
first is JPEG, 2nd is RAW. I want to add that I had virtually no work on the JPEG, while the RAW took at least 5 minutes of editing.

(also want to add that any out of focus or unsharpness is completely my fault, as I'm experimenting with those extension tubes...)

TDN