Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:52 AM   #1

We love the K100D viewfinder, but we are having major manual focus problems. We both wear glasses, but we've had to throw out tons of shots because we think things are in focus in the finder and they're not. I'm a spoiled brat and miss my old N*kkormat with its split image dot and groundglass. Does any third party make any kind of screen we can overlay on the viewfinder to help, or a magnifier?

We're practicing now before we buy the no-frills manual focus lenses.

Might the K1 come with special order focusing screens?

I've also noticed that I can rarely see any of the information in the viewfinder when I'm actually taking the pix outdoors and have to rely on the top LCD and luck. Nor can I see the playback screen in bright sunlight. It's all by guess and by golly other than what's on the LCD. Not that this is a big deal, but it was something I noticed.

Thanks in advance again,

f
fogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:20 AM   #2

The auto focus system on the camera should provide correct focusing under normal conditions; 11 focusing points are superimposed in the viewfinder, the active focus points are illuminated in red so you know exactly which AF area(s) have been selected.

I wear specs all the time & have adjusted the diopter (-2.5 – +1.5 ) setting for use with my spectacles; this means that what I see in focus is when the camera is focused correctly.

If you are using manual focus & you've not set this up correctly, then that is why your shots are likely out of focus.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:47 AM   #3

Right, we've adapted the diopter both with and without glasses and it's still hit or miss. My eyes are much worse than my husband's.

f
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4

Can you confirmwhether you're in manual or auto.

Auto should always focus on a typical subject - if the diopter is set wrong, then it will looked blurred in the viewfinder.

A large aperture will result in shallow depth of field - if the focusing point isn't where you want it to be, it will look out of focus.

Are you sure it's not camera shake - make sure the shutter speed is set high.

Diopter adjustment:

Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:44 PM   #5

Multifocus glasses can also give you troubles - I had-, and I found out that looking with myleft eye makes things a lot easier than looking with myright eye through the viewfinder, what I always have used to viewuntil I started with stereophoto's some weeks ago.

A cover shown somewere else here might be handy now now the nose hits the LCD :O

But I also would like to have that splitscreen viewfinder of my old camera...

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:56 PM   #6

Check with this company. If they don't already have the focusing screen for your camera they are likely to in the future:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html
awjweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:30 PM   #7

I wear glasses and by adjusting the diopter adjustment I can see perfectly using manual focus and the blinking lights should also tell you when the spot the light is at is in focus.

I find this shade by Belkin to be very helpful in bright sunlight!
http://www.delkin.com

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Check with this company. If they don't already have the focusing screen for your camera they are likely to in the future: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/cat--Pe...at_pentax.html

Have you used it or know anyone who does?

f
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:23 PM   #9

As far as I know, diopter adjustment if only to what you see in viewfinder. It does not affect foccussing. You will not get such situation, that you focussed on one object, you can see it sharp in viewfinder but in reality autofocus is on some other distance. No, this doesn't happen. If your diopter adjuster is in wrong position you won't get sharp view in viewfinder at all.

So, adjust dioptres of viewfinder so that you can see sharp viewfinder markings and that's it.

Also I guess it is possible that viewfinder is missaligned or something? What if you autofocus on some object, do you see it sharp in viewfinder?

What if you try to to put some meter at 45 degrees open aperture as much as possible, focus at some point and make a picture. check if in picture that area is sharp.

Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:52 AM   #10

Edvinas schreef:
Quote:
As far as I know, diopter adjustment if only to what you see in viewfinder. It does not affect foccussing. You will not get such situation, that you focussed on one object, you can see it sharp in viewfinder but in reality autofocus is on some other distance. No, this doesn't happen. If your diopter adjuster is in wrong position you won't get sharp view in viewfinder at all.

So, adjust dioptres of viewfinder so that you can see sharp viewfinder markings and that's it.

Thats whatI mean with multifocus glasses- they go from far sight above to near sight below with all theconversions in between-.You set the diopter adjustment correct, but the next time you look in the viewfinderthroughanother piece of your glasses, with multifocus glassesthat partwill need another adjustment of the diopter. Or, you won't have a sharp view. It can let you think that all is out of focus, but it is not. You may even not be able to see if the camera has focussed on the correct spot, so you will get shots out of focus -the focus point - the sharp part wil be on antoher part of the picture-. And two persons with diffrent dioptres uses the same camera and make adjustments according to their own glasses won't makeit easier.

You have to get used to it I guess.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote