Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1

I seem to recall reading in the manual somewhere that you can't use CR-V3s in the K100D for voltage reasons? Is this correct? Been using 2500ma NiMHs, but I understand that L-Ion CR-V3s last longer and so would like to use them if possible.
shadow-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:23 PM   #2

Check out this thread, it's pretty well covered here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

My reply:

Quote from http://thomas-distributing.com/mpc-c301.htmsite
'The Mobypower RCR-V3 rechargeable Lithium Ion battery is a direct substitute for standard CR-V3 Lithium batteries used in many Digital Cameras and photographic equipment. The Moby Power RCR-V3 rechargeable lithium battery can be recharged anytime regardless of the current charge or energy volume. The Moby Power rechargeable lithium battery also has a Rechargeable Battery Safety Unit built in for reliability and safety. This Safety Feature prevents damage to your equipment due to over voltage, unlike other rechargeable CR-V3 rechargeable lithium batteries on the market. This battery is designed to operate within the safe voltage range of an actual CR-V3 lithium battery'.

I believe that Lithium Ion batteries used in the majority of Digital Cameras all have some form of output protection - one reason perhaps why they are so expensive compared to NiHi. That being the case, these batteries are following an already established trend & could be regarded as 'safe'.

Digressing slightly, power supplies in all electronic equipment are regulated from a higher voltage, which should the regulator fail, then the equipment would see the full unregulated voltage unless there is some form of output voltage protection.

In the end it boils down to this:

NiHi
NiHi will last for a considerable amount of time taking perhaps in excess of 500 shots. The output voltage can NEVER exceed 1.2V and is thus completely safe.

On the down side, they are heavier & I believe result in slower focusing.

Regulated R-CR-V3 Lithium Ion Batteries
Lighter than their NiHi counterparts and potentially offer greater life but internal protection which could fail.

Am I prepared to take the risk to save a few ounces in weight and gain more shots per charge - NO.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3

Thanks Catbells, I think I'll stick clear of these for now, too much in love with my new camera to risk damaging it. Might grab an extra set of PowerEx 2700ma NIMHs instead.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:50 PM   #4

Shadow, In light of Catbells response, I agree, however your question was about using CR-V3 batteries which are different to the RCR-V3 .

I cannot see a problem with using the CR-V3, which is a single use disposable battery. All the D series Pentax's CAN use the CR-V3, so I presume the same will apply for the K100D.

The problem is with the Re-chargeable version of this battery which is the RCR-V3, this battery has been inherently unreliable with regards to staying within a safe voltages.

None of us want to fry the camera.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:17 AM   #5

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Shadow, In light of Catbells response, I agree, however your question was about using CR-V3 batteries which are different to the RCR-V3 .
Thanks for pointing that out Crashman;I had mistakenly assumed that the question was related to the rechargeable version of the CR-V3 batteries given the description of this thread - Can I use rechargable versions?. Pentax include CR-V3s with the camera (at they did with my *istDS) which are completely safe to use.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 7:51 AM   #6

Yup, i was referring to rechargable CR-V3s, sorry for the confusion.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:59 PM   #7

As an aside - the DS and DL cameras come with CR-V3 (one time batteries). The K100D comes with alkaline batteries. The manual says that they are for setting up the camera, but won't take pictures, so plan on buying some CR-V3 or NiMH batteries right away.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote