Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:38 PM   #1

I guess I should introduce myself first off. My name is Roger and I'm new to the field of photography. I was always a point and shoot guy. Just snap shots etc. Two weeks ago I broke down and bought a New Pentax ist DL. Couldn't pass up the price after rebate! I've taken some shots and I'm happy with the camera. But I have a million questions about everything from f-stops, ap settings, depth of field etc. But my first question isa bout this mythic 50mm lens.

What is so special about these lenses? What type shots are they good for? Portraits, landscapes,what? If I understand correctly a 50mm lens on my DL would act like a 75 mm. So should I buy a 35mm to get as close as I can to 50mm or are all the raves about the lens due to the difference? I see there are different types of pentax 50mm 1.4's and 1.7's. Being new Id like the easiest to use(yes I know I'll have to manually focus with it) so I'd really prefer the model NOT having to manually set the ap. Frankly because I have no bloody idea how to do so.Is that the A or the M? Will the flash respond to the lens as it should or do I have to manually set the flash as well? Do you guys hate me yet? I hope not!

Since I'm new here I don't know all the rules. Many sites frown on repeating of thread lines while others don't mind. I didn't want to intrude on someone elses thread with all these questions so........If having another thread about the 50mm is too much by all means delete this and I'll just try to search out the answers another way.

You have a pretty cool forum here. I think I'll stick around and learn something
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:49 PM   #2

You need the A version of manual focus lenses and the 50mm lenses are just fairly inexpensive very sharp lenses if you get either the 1.4 or 1.7.

Enjoy your new camera, you will love it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

Spirit

One thing abuot this forum.....No-one Frowns:lol::lol::lol:

Yells, scream and cries, but that is mainly when they drop something precious like a 50mm lens. :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Post often, contribute as much as you can and ENJOY ENJOY your Pentax.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I am tempted to do a Sarah (Kudos) and write up a (no offence Spirit) "Pentax for Dummies" web page showing the camera and settings required to do manual lenses, Manual A lenses, using the AE-L button, etc etc.

Enjoy the forum and welcome, do me a favour though and edit your profile to tell us where you are from, doesn't have to be the town can just be your country or state, we are not formal around here...:G:G
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:30 PM   #4

Quote:
I am tempted to do a Sarah (Kudos) and write up a (no offence Spirit) "Pentax for Dummies" web page showing the camera and settings required to do manual lenses, Manual A lenses, using the AE-L button, etc etc.

No offense taken. If you get the time to do so I'd love to see something like that. Thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5

50mm on 35mm film camera gives angle of view which is very similar to what we see with our naked eye. Therefore 50mm prime lense was used as basic all purpose lense before zoom lenses appeared. With 50mm on 35mm film you can cover most of situations.

In fact 50mm on 35mm film isn't exactly what represents what we see with naked aye. focal length should be alittle shorter to get that. And therefore Pentax has FA 43mm limited.

With 1,5x crop factor on DSLR, 50mm lenses become 75mm lenses and they become very good for portraiture. You need on DSLR something in the area of 33mm to get what you was getting on 35mm film. FA 31mm Limited is a good candidate for this, but it's very expensive Also there's DA 40mm around.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:31 PM   #6

Spiritbro77

If you can get your hands on a 35mm f2 Pentax it makes an excellent standard lens, the 31mm f1.8 SMC Limited lens is eaven better, but costly.The 30-35mm range makes for excellent all purposeperformance, just like the old 50mm lens 35mm camera combo was. The Henri Cartier-Bresson lens, normal view which closely approximates the scene we saw with the naked eye.

The 50mm in f1.7 is an excellent portrait lens or short telephoto, the f1.4 version is considered by some to be the best 50mm SLR lens ever. I own an older M-series f1.7 and it is a marvelous lens, I hope to get an FA 50mm f1.4 soon since it is even better and it has AF (a requirement for me these days since my manual focus skills are questionable). This range is great for portraits (traditionally portrait lens favourites included lenses from 70mm to 120mm so this represents the wide end), it is also great for events where you can get fairly close but need a little more reach, like stage shows and concerts (the large apertures of these lenses help here as well).

When I shot film I used a variety of lenses ranging from 19mm up to 210mm, most of my best shots were produced with a 50mm f1.7 and a 70-150mm f3.8 zoom, I think a 35mm and a 50mm would make for a great pair.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:40 PM   #7

all i know is that 'ed' is probably more mixed up now than he was before he posted. i'm out of town.. get back to the basics of his question..all this 1.4,1.7,2.0,50-150, FA ,A doesn't say a thing to someone in ed's place. all it does is mix him up. i've been in 3 monsoons today and 10hrs on the road..

roy
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:58 PM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
all i know is that 'ed' is probably more mixed up now than he was before he posted. i'm out of town.. get back to the basics of his question..all this 1.4,1.7,2.0,50-150, FA ,A doesn't say a thing to someone in ed's place. all it does is mix him up. i've been in 3 monsoons today and 10hrs on the road..

roy
OK, Roger and Edvinas here is the Readers Digest condensed version:
Normal View - any lens from 28mm to 40mm will be in the ballpark (31mm and 35mm score a home run). Pentax and Sigma both produce(d) fast primes in this range, the 31mm FA limited is probably the best because of its excellent construction and optics, but you pay dearly for the privilege. The FA 35mm f2 would be my next choice, still costly but not as much as the Limited and worth the price, and both offer full auto focus and exposure (there is a 35mm f1.4 M-series all manual lens but these would be hard to find).

Portrait lens - any 50mm f1.7 or f1.4Pentax prime, again the F or FA lenses will use all of your cameras features, earlier lenses will give up auto exposure and/or AF. Best pick is the FA 50mm f1.4. Mike Johnston's opinion of Pentax 50mm f1.4 lenses is found at http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/11242002.html

Hope that is simple enough.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:03 PM   #9

i screwed up. did not mean ''ed''. meant Spiritbro77. breaux, just mess around with the kit lens. altho it does not have an aperture ring you can set it in 'm' and 'av' mode. ask this lens your questions! get some books on basic photography. i still have some that are close to 30years old. go to google and search for your question. as with everyone here that has some experience, YOU are going to have to do your reading and research. the 50mm with ALL makers was a KIT lens. some faster than others(i digress here). it's what was considered a normal lens, 1x, as your eye see's things. questions here are always welcome. at this time, you are going thru thattage where you are trying to figure out what just to ask. READ!!:blah:you're going to have to do it.. BELIEVE me, if you are serious, you'll have to do it. remember you're first computer???? that time when different 'threads'' in your head all of a sudden crystalize into a new function. yeah, it was an epiphany.. MY GAWD, why didn't i see that before???????? same thing applies here.................

roy