Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:52 AM   #1

Hey all I was going to get the k100d (in a lens pack) and i was looking at the BOdy with sigma 18-55mm and the 55-200mm or the body and 18-200mm. Im no pro photographer so i dont need anything top notch.

I thought it would be nice to wrap up my otufit with just the 18-200mm isntead of the two lens which cover the same range.

Or, are all the lenses no good or will they do fine for my needs.
Noob in need of help
thx, Hoods
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:02 AM   #2
TDN

I wouldn't take the 18-55mm nor the 55-200mm, didn't hear too much good about them...
If you go with 2 lenses, the Pentax DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm are a far better choice.

If you dont need top notch gear though, I think the 18-200mm might be decent. It'll at least be as good as the 18-55/55-200mm combination.

If you substract it from the kit price, what are you paying for this lens?

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:05 AM   #3

In a word, NO - the Sigma doesn't focus correctly from 135mm so you have to focus at 135mm (or less), then zoom in.

Also see review here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...3563/index.htm

Check out other threads in this forum where it's been recently covered.

The Tamron is slightly better BUT for optical quality use the Pentax 18-55mm & Pentax 50-200mm - OK it means having to change lens but at least they focus and produce sharp images.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:13 AM   #4

TDN wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't take the 18-55mm nor the 55-200mm, didn't hear too much good about them...
If you go with 2 lenses, the Pentax DA 18-55mm and DA 50-200mm are a far better choice.

If you don't need top notch gear though, I think the 18-200mm might be decent. It'll at least be as good as the 18-55/55-200mm combination.
TDN, I think, is saying that the Sigma 18-55 & Sigma 55-200mm are not top notch and that the Sigma 18-200mm might be as good as this Sigma combination - notwithstanding the focus issue of the Sigma 18-20mm lens.

TDN, quite rightly points out that the Pentax DA 18-55mm & Pentax DA 50-200mm is a far better choice.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:58 AM   #5
TDN

I didn't know about that focus issue, Thanks catbells, for enlightening us on that

well, then I'd agree with catbells that you need to stay away from those lenses.

Get yourself the kit lens, the Pentax DA 18-55mm, it is really worth it...you can always buy a telezoom from tamron or sigma afterwards...

TDN
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:10 AM   #6

ok thx all. How much do the pentax lenses cost. Because i dont have that much money to play around with. I also forgot too mention i have and old pentax 50mm (mf) and a hanimex 28mm (mf) from my dad's old k1000. Im asking about the price because i heard the 50-200mm pentax is quite pricey. Im In AUS and they bundle the sigma 18-55mmm as the kit lens so i dont know if they would have stock of the pentax kit lens as i have not seen it anywhere yet.

P.S. TDN the subtracted price (for both of the options) is $AU342
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

Is the da 50-200mm available in australia? and is it an option to bundle the oentax kit lens instead of the sigma one?

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:29 PM   #8
TDN

hoodsa, 342 AU$ (or 260US$ according to my currency calculator) is way too much for the 18-200 alone or even the 18-55 and 55-200 combined.

At how much are you buying the body?

For that price you can find yourself a VERY decent lens on ebay.

If I were you, I'd use the old 50mm for the time being (it should be a good & sharp lens, just no zoom range) and find myself a nice "walkaround" zoom lens on ebay or b&h photo.

You don't have to take my advice, the choice is yours, but I think that kind of money can be better spent than on the lenses you mentioned.

for example (keep searching though...don't trust on my opinion alone):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

this one, according to Ira, gives excellent results. I want to buy it myself but I lack the necessary funds.: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

just showing to you what you can have new with that money...on ebay you can find even better deals.

TDN
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:04 PM   #9

OK thx for all your help. Im paying $au819.00 for the body. Maybe an ebay account would be the way to go:-). IM very new to the way lenses are priced (like what you should be getting for a certain price) so i really appriciate your input.
Thanks
hoods
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:26 AM   #10
TDN

That's a nice price for the body IMO...go for it

And yes, an ebay account is definitly the way to go:lol:

TDN