Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:16 AM   #21

Darren,

You have DL or D? Once I saw the screen line straightened and focus indicator beeped, I was relieved.
They did not disclose DL has a replaceable one. But in fact it is. Its use in macro is even more helpful. DL was meant to be low end body

Daniel

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Just an update.

My split screen arrived today. Took 20 mins to change it - 15 mins working up the nerve to attack my new camera and 5 mins to actually change it.

Verdict - fantastic! Pentax should go back to putting this screen in as standard. My manual focus lenses now work!!

Darren
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:45 AM   #22

Daniel - I have the DL2, and yes it has replaceable screens, but only if people in the know (ie here) inform of this. Otherwise, looking on the net doesn't reveal anything useful. In fact, one posting on this board states that the DL doesn't have a removeable screen!

Thanks to all for help and wisdom

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:07 AM   #23

I hope to receive the Minolta based screen next week (it was mailed from China last Sunday).

Fred666 - said
Verdict - fantastic! Pentax should go back to putting this screen in as standard. My manual focus lenses now work!!

Darren, I agree completely that Pentax should make a split screen at least an option, especially with all of those MF lenses out there. The MF fast primes and A-series zooms are excellent lenses.

danielchtong - said
The wastage is high - say 1/15 is good ones. Given my retirement age eyesight, it is an improvement already.

Daniel, I would say the wastage seems high because of the fact that we are now able to examine our pictures at high magnification on a computer screen. A 100% view on a monitor is probably about 28" by 42", have you ever enlarged a 35mm frame to that size? You are now rejecting images that would have looked quite acceptable with film, and would probably make quite acceptable prints right now. We have become more critical because we can.

Well a few of us will have cameras better equiped for manual focus work, should be fun.

One more warning, there is a small brass shim (goes around three sides of the focus screen) in my DL, if it comes loose, as mine did, it is a bear to place properly again. When I get the next focus screen it will more than likely find its way into the camera and stay there. Next spring I plan on getting a K100D for my wife Annette so that we have two cameras for weddings etc.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:13 AM   #24

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
I hope to receive the Minolta based screen next week (it was mailed from China last Sunday).
well i hope we both get ours as mine was mailed the same day from the same place.
Next spring I plan on getting a K100D for my wife Annette so that we have two cameras for weddings etc.
hehe, for annette??----yeah right.. you're getting good at this.....
roy
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:51 AM   #25

I had that 3 sided spacer loose too. I would call that a spacer only as it does not serve any other purpose. Somehow I figured it out how to put it back in only resulting in my DL screen scratched big time. Got a couple of practice and I am fully confident to handle that again. Hope there is no more need for me on that.
The next challenge is to know if the K100D (1 day old) screen is replaceable or not. There seems to be a little bracket there holding the screen. Not that intimidating.
Ok one thing at a time.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:

One more warning, there is a small brass shim (goes around three sides of the focus screen) in my DL, if it comes loose, as mine did, it is a bear to place properly again. When I get the next focus screen it will more than likely find its way into the camera and stay there.

Ira
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:14 PM   #26

robar wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
well i hope we both get ours as mine was mailed the same day from the same place.
Next spring I plan on getting a K100D for my wife Annette so that we have two cameras for weddings etc.
roy
Sssshh!!! She may be listening!!!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:32 AM   #27

Roy,

I am to buy my wife a K10D next year. She hardly uses her P&S not to mention the DSLR. So that is the plan or my roadmap.

Daniel

robar wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
roy
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:34 PM   #28

mailman just delivered mine. now onto the operation. anything i nned to know about how not to disturb the brass spacer???
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:14 PM   #29

Roy,

The first thing you will see (after dropping the screen) will be the square bracket holding the screen, followed by the screen and the shim/spacer. Do it slow and remember the direction of the sheen (n shape).
To put the whole thing back, start off with the spacer or shim, then the focus screen and square bracket.
Last time I dropped the screen by 1/8 of an inch and it was scratched big time. Good luck. You be fine.

Daniel

robar wrote:
Quote:
mailman just delivered mine. now onto the operation. anything i nned to know about how not to disturb the brass spacer???
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:26 PM   #30

how do i get the screen out?? i need a first step. i know take the lens off. is there a retaining lever or ring i have to move so the screen drops out??