Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:48 AM   #11

Sarah - nice photo. The more I play with the K100D, the more I appreciate the SR. I used the Phoenix 100mm macro lens yesterday and today a bit, and the SR makes a noticeable difference. This is a crop of a flower picture I took yesterday- it grows next to a parking structure. This lens is really sharp, but there's a bit extra with the K100D, I'm sure due to the SR. I'm now getting more confidence that I could manage a 300mm lens, as long as I keep the shutter speed up.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:14 PM   #12

mtngal/Harriet-

Yes, I agree with you completely, the shake reduction does indeed contribute to the photos, sometimes in rather small,somewhat subtle,ways, and sometimes in very measurable ways. I have found it especially handy in closeups (your flower shot is an excellent example) and when really zoomed out.

It is not magic, and you do have to be aware of your shutter speeds, but it is there working to help you all the time.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:25 PM   #13

Hi Harriet,

Don't be too intimidated by long lenses. After having a series of Panny FZs I thought that OIS was pretty much a requisite for shooting long.

I bought an inexpensive 70-300 just to try my DS with a long tele, and was so impressed with the results I searched out and found an FA*300/4.5 last winter. I even added a Pentax F 1.7x AFA to give me 510mm (765mm FOV)

I had always thought that hand-holding long glass was going to be a losing proposition without IS, especially in marginal light with a pretty slow lens combo (f7,7 for the above mentioned combo) but situations arise where you really have no choice, so I went ahead and gave it a shot -- after all, the worst that could happen was I would waste some time.

Here's an example at 510mm (765mm FOV), ISO 400, f8 (corrected for the TC), and 1/160 sec. . . hand-held

This was taken with my DS so there's no SR involved. I took a number of shots at this time, and most of them were about as good, so it wasn't just a one-off fluke. Of course YMMV, as everyone has different tricks and techniques to get the most out of hand-holding (in this case, I got as close as possible by careful stalking, then crouched down and leaned against a tree).

I think the combination of reasonably light camera and lens (the FA* + the TC weighs @ 2lbs, as opposed to a 300/2.8 which would weigh @ 6lbs by itself), reasonable technique, good glass (for me it's pretty important that the lens be sharp wide open -- especially when using a TC), and a bit of luck can work wonders -- and SR could only help!

Don't feel too bound by the 1/FL "rule" for hand-holding long glass -- especially if you have the advantage of SR.

BTW, I just started trying an external flash for some situations in my birding, and although I haven't had too many good opportunities yet, this look promising.

Just go out and get a good 300mm and give it a shot (so to speak). I think you'll surprise yourself.

Scott

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm now getting more confidence that I could manage a 300mm lens, as long as I keep the shutter speed up.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:41 PM   #14

Scott-

Thanks for posting a really excellent photo. I was working along the same lines this morning when I fittedmy K100D with a Sigma 100-300mm lens. The lens is really not anything special, but I wanted to follow up on my comment made earlier this morning about SR probably being effective with long zooms as well.

This is nothing of your quality, Scott, but SR seems to have made a contribution.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:53 PM   #15

Scott - You DO realize that you are one of the reasons I'min the marketfor a 300 lens, don't you? Your previous posts with those awesome birds are just too good to pass up, now.

And Sarah - I should blame you, too, along with changing my mind about upgrading to the K100D.

My previous experience with an FZ30 convinced me that there was no way I could control a long lens - I never could get anything decent out of that camera, and I also didn't think much of IS - I couldn't tell any difference in my long tele photos. Ifigured that 200mm was as far as I could go without a tripod.I've definitelychanged my mind on both counts - the SR on the K100D does makeenough of a difference that I think I could manage something longer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:04 PM   #16

Go for it, Harriet-

Please don't limit yourself. I have found the K100D to be very capable when using long zoom lenses.

MT/Sarah