Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:14 AM   #1

I finally managed to get a chance to look at some of the pictures I took Saturday. I've put together a couple of composite photos showing the same scene with the same lens, with both cameras. None of these are great pictures,just snaps taken around where I live. The differences in metering were noticeable in some of the scenes where I was really beyond a camera's dynamic range. This first one was taken when the sun was first coming up.

All these photos were right out of the camera, no USM, no levels, only resize or cropping. These are resized.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:18 AM   #2

In some cases there wasn't much difference. These were taken with the same lens, I did a lot of lens switching with this. I only used either the kit lens or the DA 50-200 lens.
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3

I was going to say that this one showed how much better the K100D processes jpg files, except that I just looked at the exif data for the DS photo. It was taken with the DA 50-200 at 50mm, shutter speed was 1/160. That should be fast enough to not show camera shake, but maybe not - it was 40 degrees F out and there was a breeze. My hands were feeling the lack of gloves!

The K100D was taken with the kit lens at 55mm, shutter speed 1/125 - was this a difference in lenses, camera processing or the IS kicking in to help a slightly shivering body? I can't answer that!
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:31 AM   #4

This one is definitely an example of the anti-shake. Both were taken at 200mm at the shutter speeds indicated. The ducks weren't willing to stay still while I changed lenses, so they aren't the same photo. The ducks in the DS photo were closer to me than the one in the K100D photo.

As I said in the beginning, this is not a scientific comparison, just some snaps I took at the same time, all handheld, just playing around with the cameras. All were taken with natural mode and in jpg format (didn't want to get into converting raw images - will do that when I get some more time).
Attached Images

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:38 AM   #5

Thanks Harriet, this kind of comparison is much more interesting than any "scientific metering". I must say I'm not convinced about the K100D's superiority, except when it comes to IS - that is a feature I would like for the future. Santa, did you take a note?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:12 AM   #6

add my thanks also mtngal/harriet, i'm not in the market (probably not til the upgrade for the k-100 comes out or maybe the upgrade for that one ) but it's sure interesting to see what the new cameras can do.

it does make sense though, doesn't it, to have two bodies with a different lens on each?

thanks again, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:00 AM   #7

Is it just me, or is there something unexpected in these photos? I got looking at them as a group here, rather than thinking about the mechanics of putting the comparison pictures together, and now question one of my conclusions.

When I look at the first and third comparison pictures, the first thing I notice is the differences in color. The first one it is fairly major, but there is a bit of a difference in the third one - a certain saturation or richness of color. What's interesting is that the ones I prefer are not from the same camera - I prefer the DS in the first one (thought it was the exposure choice of the K100D, that it doesn't underexpose as much as the DS does, and the fact that the scene had a bit too muchdynamic range),and I prefer the K100D in the 3rd one.

There is a constant - the two I prefer are both taken by the kit lens, NOT the DA50-200. I don't use the kit lens much because I prefer tele photos more, and I usually use a manual f2.8 lens for what little wide angle pictures I want. Maybe that's why I liked my car photos - I was using the kit lens again. Does anyone else think that the kit lens is just a bit better on color than the DA50-200?
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:46 AM   #8

mtngal/harriet-

I have gone through the same sort of experience. For months at a time the kit lens sat on the shelf and was not used. However, I did use the kit lens a lot when doing the Flash Thread, due to space requirements, and because I was attempting to create photos, with flash, that would be useful to somebody who had just purchased the camera, and had only the kit lens.

The result has been that I use the kit lens a lot more. I now keep the kit lens on one body ad the Pentax 50-200mm on the other body.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:27 PM   #9

Thank you for sharing your photos. Seeing the pictures from the K100d just helps confirms my decision to buy the K100d. What a great camera and great pictures. You did a nice job.

Greatgreyowl/Brad
greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:24 PM   #10

Harriet and Brad-

Here is another example photo of what I was discussing earlier today. This photo was taken at 18mm with the 18-55mm kit lens. I sincerely believe that it takes good advantage of some wonderful lighting. However, it does showcase the quality of what the, so called Pentax 18-55mm kit lens can really do. BTW, this photo was taken with auto ISO and handheld, to show both the capabilities of the K100D and the KIt Lens.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote