Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:17 PM   #11

Hi Chad,

I'm with Black Knight (I think) concerning the use of "protective" filters -- i don't use them -- but a circular polarizer can be useful in a number of situations to reduce glare and intensify sky color. Another type of filter that I sometimes find useful are ND (neutral density) filters which can allow larger apertures and/or slower shutter speeds in brightly lit scenes (polarizers can do this also, but without the ability to choose the density).

In almost 40 years of using SLRs, I have yet to have a situation where a "protective" filter has saved a lens from damage, but then again, I usually don't shoot in conditions (blowing sand or abrasive dust, splashing mud or other gunk, etc) where they might be necessary. Others can probably supply horror stories about how a UV or skylight filter saved their lens, but I can't . . . YMMV applies here.

Whatever you decide about filters, try to get multi-coated ones (to control flare) and consider spending extra for better quality to reduce whatever negative effects that they can have on your images -- doesn't make much sense to try to choose the best lenses, then try to save a couple of bucks by putting a cheap uncoated filter on it.

I use Ritek, Transcend, Kingmax, and PQI branded SD cards, all higher speed cards (66x-150x), all with no problems. The higher speed cards don't hamper the camera's speed (slower ones can), and are faster to download to the computer. Generally, the higher speed cards are only a few bucks more than the slower ones (if they are indeed more expensive), so there is no real reason to buy a slow card. I like to get brands that offer a lifetime warrantee -- just in case.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:14 PM   #12

as scott said. get MC filters. i use hoya's HMC models. they aren't the absolute best but they are excellent filters. i think that's their silver packageing.

roy
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:42 PM   #13

When I had my ME, I always used a UV filter on my lenses. Since I had sucha tough time getting the glass out of a poor teleconverter (turned it into an extension tube), I decided that lens glass is pretty tough stuff. I haven't been in any rush to buy filters for the new lenses I bought. However, I probably should get one to use on them before I head to the desert - that blowing sand can act as a pretty good sandblaster.

I also second the polarizer - I've used mine fairly often. Don't know if it's real or just my perception, but it seems to have more of an effect when you are at higher altitudes. Or maybe it's just because the sky is bluer since there isn't as much air up there!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:10 PM   #14

i remember when i told you ''just take the glass out''. after that i waited till you wrote back and asked just ''how do you get the glass out''' hehehehe

pretty easy after you get with the program,
roy
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:00 PM   #15

Balancing things out - I've used UV since day 1 of the SLRs and have continued to do so with the DSLR lenses. Like Roy says better to scratch a filter than a lens. It has never happened but luck has no way of warning me.

I have the circ. polarise filter which I sometimes used when doing car shows - it helps. Shooting reflective surfaces like glass office building - it helps. Shooting the seaside in the Med during mid-day it WORKS but didn't always have it with me. :sad:
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:39 AM   #16

LOL! It was good advice- take a hammer to it. I actually used a big screwdriver as a chisel and still had a tough time getting that glass to break.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote