Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:49 PM   #1

Do you guys(gals) have any tips for shooting during midday/afternoon? It seems this is the time of day my family wants to get out and do stuff and I bring my trusty DL with me, but I get clipped highlights and dark shadows. I can deal with the shadows alright in Photoshop, but I was thinking there may be a setting or filter or an exposure setting that may be the standard for this type of shooting.

I am posting links to illustrate what I am talking about. Go easy on me these are my first image posts. Thanks.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6/IMGP0712.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2_edited-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...4_edited-1.jpg
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:50 AM   #2

Here is a prime example:

Thanks for any ideas.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:01 AM   #3

We do not go easy on new comers. We are brutal.
Here we go:
You have great pict particularly the 3 rd one which is not affected by harsh sunlight at all.
The others incl the 4 th can be improved with either neutral density or polarising filter. It is tough light situation anyway.
Good job you did.

Daniel
www.pbase.com/danieltong

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
Do you guys(gals) have any tips for shooting during midday/afternoon? It seems this is the time of day my family wants to get out and do stuff and I bring my trusty DL with me, but I get clipped highlights and dark shadows. I can deal with the shadows alright in Photoshop, but I was thinking there may be a setting or filter or an exposure setting that may be the standard for this type of shooting.

I am posting links to illustrate what I am talking about. Go easy on me these are my first image posts. Thanks.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...6/IMGP0712.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...2_edited-1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...4_edited-1.jpg
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 5:22 AM   #4

I don't think those shots are too bad at all given the time of day you shot them.

To reduce harsh shadow, you can use fill flash but I tend not to with most things as it can produce a "less realistic" result, ok with people shots but not so much with animals and nature, it's best to stick with natural lighting for those.

As has been said, a neutral density filter or polarizing filter would possibly help, I would go more with the polarizing one. Remember, you want a circular polarizer, not linear.

I can't think of any other tips at the moment to help with the shadows. I too have problems sometimes with blown out highlights and am still working on ways around this myself! lol!

Let us know how you get along with anything you try.

Once again, those are pretty good shots specially for first ones.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:11 AM   #5

The other thing you might want to do is get a good software program (I use photoshop because I've been using it for a long time). With the shot of the Queen Mary (am I right about that - it's been years since I've been there) you could select on the boat and lighten it a bit. There's only so much you can do with software, but that photo looked like it isn't so dark that a little lightening would make a difference. Or you could bracket your shots, expose for the light, then again for the dark and use one of the software programs to merge them to get what you want for the whole picture. Haven't sorted all that out correctly yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My tip for shooting at mid-day is....don't!! Mid day light is very harsh and is quite unflattering to subjects. Given that however, for portaits (or group photos), I have acheived some nice results by trying back-lighting (I know, hard to do at mid-day), with a fill in flash. The back lighting softens the image some and the fill flash brights out the detail. As for landscape/scenery, it remains a challenge. Of course, you can always pray for a cloud to provide some shade!! I have not done much mid day shooting with my DL, but have many from my film days using my ZX-L. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 1:49 PM   #7

I second that. For small group (single subject ) photo, you may use fill flash. That unfortunately is not ideal. Fro landscape/scenery, it is better to forget it.

Daniel

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
My tip for shooting at mid-day is....don't!! Mid day light is very harsh and is quite unflattering to subjects. Given that however, for portaits (or group photos), I have acheived some nice results by trying back-lighting (I know, hard to do at mid-day), with a fill in flash. The back lighting softens the image some and the fill flash brights out the detail. As for landscape/scenery, it remains a challenge. Of course, you can always pray for a cloud to provide some shade!! I have not done much mid day shooting with my DL, but have many from my film days using my ZX-L. Jay
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 3:14 PM   #8

First, thanks for all the tips!

If I use the ND or CPL filters, which I have but left at home that day(stupid...stupid):angry: doesn't the camera meter for them and I will get similar results? Do I have to adjust exposure for the filters? I am using the multi segment metering. Is this correct for landscapes?

Yes it is the Queen Mary. I have photoshop and am very experienced with it and I will try the bracketing and merge on some shots.

I did not shoot raw. I suppose I will from now on if you think it will help.

I did realize later after looking at the portraits I took I should have used fill flash(again stupid...stupid):angry:

Lastly, as for not shooting at this time of day, well, you should see how hard it is to get this family of five up and out of the house early on the weekend!:-? And the little ones get kinda anxious in the early evening if daddy wants to take pics when they want to go eat!

-Jon
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:47 PM   #9

My tip: shoot raw. Check this rather hopeless picture. No post-processing, just converted from camera default.

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:53 PM   #10

And now after 30 seconds of hard work with the level bars: reduced highlight conrast, a tiny exposure compensationand a little curves adjustment in RawShooterPremium (not available any more, but I'm quite convinced it can be done in other converters as well). I't still won't nock them off at an exhibition, but it makes quite a lot nicer picture for the family album.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote