Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:59 PM   #1

Well since I am a noob to buying photo gear I dont know what the vaule of the products that I want to buy. Ebay has a nice selection of prime lense for our camera and I see that it goes from anywhere between $15 to $100 for the SAME lense.

Since I am shopping for a nice prime lense I want to know what price I should pay for that particual lense. I know it is kinda hard to put a price point on something without seeing it. But lets just say that the lense is in good working conditions and NO scratch on the glass.

How much should a person pay for these lense?

Pentax M 50mm 1.4
Pentax M 50mm 1.7
Pentax A 50mm 1.4
Pentax A 50mm 1.7

I recently bought a RMC Tokin II 28mm f2.8 manual lense on ebay for $18. It also had a 52mm Hoya UV [0] filter on it that seems to be in scratch free. Did I get ripped off or was it a good deal? What does that [0] means on the Hoya filter?

I also have a chance to buy a Pentax M 50mm f2 lense from the same person for $15. Do you think that is a steal? How does that lense compair to the quicker 1.7 brother? Should I go ahead and pick it up or should I wait for the 1.7? If it is a GOOD deal, let me know because I want to pick it up from him today before he list it up on sale.

I know this is a lot of question, but I would help me out an any other first timer when they are in the market for a Prime lense.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:13 PM   #2

you need to include the entire cost. price + shipping. i've bought a number of things when the price was equal to or bellow the shipping price.

roy
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:16 PM   #3

Hi superakuma

$15 for a M50/2 is a pretty good deal if the lens is in good condition. If you want to get an idea how much a lens cost, maybe take a look at KEH's price (http://www.keh.com) but bear in mind you usually can find a better price on ebay.

The Tokina 28mm/f2 is one of the classic lens or so I read somewhere. $18 for it is a steal!!

Oh, with the 50mm lens, I would probably got for the A version for ease of use. The 1.7 has been reported to be sharper wide-open but 1.4 gives better bokeh.

cheers,
Kenny
kjao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:25 PM   #4

Yea I forgot to add that I want the total price of the actual lense INCLUDING SHIPPING. I forgot to say it because the Tokina that I bought , I picked it up to save on shipping. Also I notice that with used lense, the shipping price isnt as bad as some of the other stuff on ebay. Most of the lense are reasonable price like $10 or so. I bought a 1GB SD card for 99 cent and $20 for shipping.
:lol:

I am sorry my mistake on the Tokina lense. It is a f2.8 NOT f2. Is that still a good deal?

Also I am aware of the difference between the f1.4 and the f1.7 from reading what people said about them on this board. But I havent read anyone say anything about the f2. I know the f2 is slower, but I dont know by how much and I dont know about the sharpness of it.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:15 AM   #5

its pretty common to have high shipping prices as people use that to get around eBays charging the seller on their item end price.

zoikzoik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:34 AM   #6

Well, I am still in the learning stages myself but I can tell you how much I did end up paying for one of the lenses on your list. I picked up a SMC A 50mm 1.7 off ebay for $50.00 including shipping. Itis described as excellent condition withfilter and caps. I also picked up a SMC M 50mm f2, along with a Sears manual 70-210 zoom, and a working Pentax Super ME film camera for $30.00, but that was through a local classified.

For items that come up regularly on ebay it is easy to save a number of auctions as favorites and check back after they are closed to see where the auctions closed at. This gives you a pretty good idea of the value.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:39 AM   #7

my pentax 50mm 1.7 M was us$37 (£20) all in, on eBay [within the UK].

finding an A was pretty hard or i just got impatient, and so went with the M

50mm with the cropping is a little awkward.

zoikzoik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:45 AM   #8

50mm is now a short telephoto, as such there is no better deal in a very fast prime. Some of the older M series lenses sell for very low prices. Stay away from the 50mm f2 lenses unless they are extremely cheap, they do not perform as well and the A series models are not as well built as the 1.7.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:17 AM   #9

I second that: stay away from the M lens unless is something really special.
The pain on using it is not worth it.

The 50mm F2 needs do be stopped-down quite a bit to get something really sharp. Even wide-open it is not that bad. At least when compared with the kit lens, the only other I have.
I got mine for$50 from a local pawn shop (with a Super Sears body and another 50mm F2 from Sears).

Tip: it can be used with a reversing ring for macro shots.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:56 AM   #10

Damn, wish I had known that last weekend. I won an auction on a A 50mm f2.0 lens. Brand new in box for 32 dollars plus 10 shipping. I thought that was a pretty good deal for a new lens and thought the f2 couldn't be too much worse than a 1.7. I do plan on getting a 1.7 or 1.4 in the near future but got out bid on two 1.7sso took the f2 instead. It should arive this week and I hope I can get some good use from it.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote