Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:15 AM   #1

I will be getting the K100D. Now of course the lenses. Found the older Pentax SMC-F Zoom 80-200mm f/4.7-5.6 for $84. Questions. Will it work with K100D? Will it autofocus? And is it worthwhile? Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:08 AM   #2

No idea about the lens you mentioned, recommend you to get in the DA 50-200mm len which is newly designed for pentax DSLR if you can afford $160 more.
hexin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3

Like all Pentax SMC-F and FA lenses it is fully compatible with all the functions on your K100D. As for quality, I quote from Stans Pentax Photography (http://stans-photography.info/):
"Ralf Engelmann - A nice compact telezoom with nearly constant aperture and internal zooming, mechanically without problems, optically moderate to good quality with some problems full open."

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4

Stan's site was quite interesting when it comes to the 70-210 and 80-200 zooms Pentax has made over the years. I used to have an F 70-210 f4.0-5.6 that I absolutely loved - really sharp. But the zoom mechanism broke and the comments on Stans indicates people weren't really happy with the build quality of it. If you could get a working one cheaply, it might be a nice alternative.

Another interesting note - the guy who Kjell quoted later on describes the FA 80-200 a step backward mechanically, and recommends the F version as being the same optically, but having better mechanics.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5

It will work, and it will autfocus. Many others have said that the 50-200mm lens is a much better choice, but I believe that is a DA lens, and sells for about $250 (and there might be a $50 rebate).

I've been told that the 80-200mm (From Ritz Online's ClearanceI believe?) is a mediocre lens, but at that price I don't think you'll find anything from Pentax directly which is brand new and has AF. You might do better checking KEH or eBay for preowned lenses in excellent quality, or even non-Pentax branded lenses (Sigma, Tamron etc.) There are some great choices out there if you don't need AF.

Be careful with some non-Pentax lenses though, some that are designed to be compatible with Ricoh cameras have gotten stuck on the Pentax DSLRs. Don't let that scare you, just search or post here about a particular lens before buying.

intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:21 PM   #6

I use that lens quite often. It's not a bad one for the money. Here'sa RAW conversionI shot with it.
Attached Images

Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:26 AM   #7

i'll stick with my A70-210 f4. no AF but truly a fine piece of glass... that is if you are superman... answer to all your questions is YES.

roy
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:46 AM   #8

Also keep in mind that the lens is silver (If it's the same one I saw online). For the price though, it's very hard to beat as I doubt you'll find an original brand new Pentax lens for anywhere close to that price. The DA 50-200mm is a much better choice, but is 2x-3x as much.
intence is offline   Reply With Quote