Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Is it possible to change build in flash strenght with manual lenses? I tried shooting macro with vivtar 70-210 (in M mode with manual aperturee ring) and +3diopter close up lens. the magnification was ok but flash was firing at full strenght which was too much. changing flash output in camera menu didn't seem to do much diffrence photos were still overexposed. is there any way around it? I was using DL2.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2

This very much like a question in the flash thread. You have obviously determined that that the flash output is too great. Here are the options.

(a) Some flashes have the ability to operate at reduced output. You did not state what flash you were using. Check the flash documentation and determine if you can reduce the output.

(b) If the shooting environment allows it, bounce the flash, thereby gaining much better photo lighting in most cases than direct falsh can ever provide. You did not tell us anything about your shooting environment.

(c) You can usethe proper guide number for the flash that you are using and manually determine the proper exposure.

(d) You can just progressively stop down the aperture, one stop, and a time and view the results.In the process you will eventually solve the exposure conundrum.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:00 PM   #3

sarah,
they said with the built in flash.

roy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:08 PM   #4

this is something i don't get. TTL with the onboard flash and a manual lens does not work but when you use an off camera flash it works fine..

roy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:52 PM   #5

Thanks a lot Roy-

I apologize for missing that. Think back to our DIY flash diffussers exercise. That is a good way to throttle back the built-in flash. Be sure to use multilayers. It may take some trial and error work to get the light reduced sufficiently.

Keep in mind that even several layers to kleenex type tissues also will work well in reducing the output of the built-in flash. Roy, BTW the DL2 built-in flash is P-TTL.

Thanks, again Roy.

MT

Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:43 PM   #6

so basically there's no way to adjust build in flash strenght using manual lens. I should have used my external manual flash, well too late now . that's another thing I learnt by my own error (should have read manual couple more times).
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:00 PM   #7

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
so basically there's no way to adjust build in flash strenght using manual lens. I should have used my external manual flash, well too late now . that's another thing I learnt by my own error (should have read manual couple more times).
you can by adjusting the aperture.

sarah , the DS's onboard is also P-TTL, maybe that's why it doesn't work. thinking about it that's what it's got to be.. thanks for getting me thinking..

roy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:01 PM   #8

gfurm-

Yes, using an external flash will give you much more control over flash output than using thecamera's built-inflash because when the camera can not communicate with the lens, as would be the case with a manual lens, it uses full strength flash output.

If you have a spare minute, take a look at the Flash Thread. Today I posted a review of the Promaster Flash Unit as I had promised. I took a very tight close up of a Pentax 28-80mm lens using that flash which has a main flash head, which I used in the upright position for bounce lighting, and a small secondary flash that acts as a fill-in flash. It was quite effective.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:10 PM   #9

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
if you get an external flash, be sure it's P-TTL capable if you want to use it in auto. the DL does not recognize TTL flashes..

roy
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10

thanks everyone. i check flash thread from time to time and find it very useful. however as I said before in there I'm not planning to buy a p-ttl flash right now, I just have to stick to my manual Sunpak, but somehow I didn't think to put in on camera when shooting macro. well, I'll know better now.