Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:38 AM   #1

Although it was only the *istDL (and not the K100D, darn!), I did get an opportunity to play with the camera at CircuitCity. I mention it here only because this is the first time I've seen a Pentax digital SLR in any store here in El Paso (TX).

The handling was quite nice and the camera was lighter than I had anticipated. Very fast focusing (AF) and, when switched to MF, was sharp enough in the flat lighting of the store to focus accurately and quickly.

Okay; now it's just a matter of how long I can wait while the prices on the K100D package drops. Probably will start frequenting the pawn shops around Fort Bliss for any K-mount lenses I can find.

I should also compliment the contributors to the forums as I have learned much and enjoy getting back into still photography after many years with only a point-n-shoot.

Barry
(Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Commercial Photography, 1973)
themacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 8:45 AM   #2

barry,
welcome to the forum. glad you liked the dl. the 100d should be even better. i was in el paso a couple of sundays ago when someone on a motorcycle decided to die on I-10. spent over an hour trying to get out of your wonderful city..

roy
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:39 AM   #3

Roy,

Unfortunately, the Texas legislature (collectively possessing an IQ of 43) repealed the helmet law some years ago. Since then, this has become a regular occurrance.

Do you know what non-helmet-wearing motorcyclists are called at the ER? Organ donors.

robar wrote:
Quote:
barry,
welcome to the forum. glad you liked the dl. the 100d should be even better. i was in el paso a couple of sundays ago when someone on a motorcycle decided to die on I-10. spent over an hour trying to get out of your wonderful city..

roy
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:48 AM   #4

organ donors, so true. this guy had on his helmet tho.

Texas legislature (collectively possessing an IQ of 43),, gee, they must have added a democrat or two.. thought it was way lower..

roy
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5

Now you know what I do and photograph for a job...
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6

echh!

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Now you know what I do and photograph for a job...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:20 PM   #7

only difference a helmet adds to a motorcyclist:

helmet: open casket
no helmet: closed casket
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:12 PM   #8

Is this thread heading down the wrong direction?
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:30 PM   #9

This thread is definitely heading in the wrong direction.

The K100D is a bit heavier than the DS (and I would assume the DL), the handle is a bit bigger, so it's hard to judge it by the *ist cameras. Having said that, I spent an hour or two carrying the K100D around an outdoor car show and realized that after about a half hour I didn't even think about the difference.

One of my favorite (now faded) memories involves El Paso. I was driving across country and had spent the night in El Paso. I left before dawn and was heading east when the sun came up and lit the cliffs behind me, while the rest of the desert was dark. Sure wish I had had a camera with me - it was an awesome sight in my rearview mirror.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote