Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:16 AM   #1

This is completely off topic so I won't be offended if it is deleted by the MODS.

I have an external DVD writer, a BENQ. The software that came with it will not co-exist with my Roxio and I'm not willing to fork out money to upgrade my Roxio.

I'm using CopytoDVD but will not let me have more than one session - it closes the DVD whether I've written 1byte or 1gb or 4.x gb.

Any suggestions and or experiences?

Thanks

EDIT: Don't want to remove my Roxio
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:31 AM   #2

jc,
you will always have regitry problems with 2 burning programs installed. remove both of them an use a registry cleaner, restart and reinstall roxio. that should fix the problem.. if you need a cleaner let me know. i use an old version of jv16.

roy
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:23 PM   #3

Roy, not a registry problem. One or the other (can't remember which one) are quite specific - they will not co-exist.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:17 PM   #4

they can't exist together because they are each trying to write the same thing to the registry
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:40 PM   #5

I was on the Roxio site and the do have a product RecordNow which allows multisession without closing the DVD. You figure they would at least have it with the 7 Suite.

Thanks for your help Roy. I was actually reading something on their Forum and one of the guys said they can co-exist but to run it off the CD not the PC.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:23 AM   #6
TDN

robar wrote:
Quote:
jc,
you will always have regitry problems with 2 burning programs installed. remove both of them an use a registry cleaner, restart and reinstall roxio. that should fix the problem.. if you need a cleaner let me know. i use an old version of jv16.

roy
I'm using both Nero and Alcohol 120% on the same pc without problems.

You are saying you're trying to burn 2 DVD's at once? No wonder your sessions crash, your buffer would be overloaded massively while doing that.
1 session at once is the only way to go with burning...

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:30 AM   #7

Mon dieu - non.

What I'm saying burning today without closing the DVD and be able to burn something at a later time.

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/000029RN
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:19 AM   #8
TDN

Oh ic what you mean...

myeah, I've never been a big fan of that. When you leave a cd or DVD open that's basicly asking for problems. There's loads of stuff that can go wrong, and then your data is left useless.

I usually take regular cds for smaller amount of data, and if it's gotta go on 1 DVD, I save it up in a seperate folder until it's full enough to fill an entire DVD.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:40 PM   #9

You can have a dozen mastering programs on the computer at the same time and they do not interfere with each other at all. Examples of mastering software are EZ CD Creator, Nero, RecordNow, CloneCD, Alcohol 120% etc.

What you can't have is more than one packet writing program on the computer. Examples of packet writing software are DirectCD, Drag-to-Disc and InCD. DirectCD is the packet writing component of EZ CD Creator (older Roxio software), Drag-to-Disc is the packet writing component of the newer Roxio Creative Suite and InCD is the packet writing component of Nero. You can install the mastering software without installing the packet writing, and you are usually able to uninstall just the packet writing.

With packet writing your CD or DVD acts like a drive. You can erase and overwrite individual files and drag or copy stuff directly to the drive. I'm not familiar with CopytoDVD. If it is packet writing software or has a packet writing component it would be incompatible with the DirectCD or Drag-to-Disc component of your Roxio software. But it would not be incompatible with RecordNow. I think that is the main mastering software in Creative Suite 7..

What you are looking for is multi-session writing with mastering software. All regular mastering software has that ability. If you have XP, the built in burner automatically writes multi-session. Each session takes about 15Mb of housekeeping space but that is negligible on a DVD. That is also true for your RecordNow, but you have to check that it is set for multi-session before you write the first session. The lead-in for subsequent sessions has to be written with the first and other sessions. Most mastering software defaults to multi-session anymore.

Mastering software has to be tailored for specific burners. Your Creative Suite will likely be compatible with your burner if you update it: http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/emc...e_updates.html

If there is still a problem, uninstall any packet writing software you have on the computer. You should have Drag-to-Disc (I think) with the Creative Suite. If CopytoDVD is packet writing or has a packet writing component you would probably do best to uninstall that as well. RecordNow is excellent mastering software and all you need for regular burning. And the Creative Suite allows you to burn video DVDs etc.

I have found packet writing software to be intrusive and to cause problems. It is always active, which is why you can't have more than one. Using packet writing to RW is a good way to loose data. You are better off without any of it on the computer IMO.

If your Windows updates are current you should be able to use the basic XP burning component. It is mastering software that is set up for multi-session. Some people confuse it with packet writing because you can drag stuff to the drive. But that just sets up a regular mastering session.

I've been burning multi-session discs since 2X burners were the latest and greatest and never had problems attributable to multi-session. The only problem you can have is to not set the first session up for multi-session. Recovery software can find the subsequent sessions but it can be a hassle. Most software anymore won't burn subsequent sessions if it wasn't set up right in the first place. Only very old software would burn a second session without the proper lead in on the disc. It is pretty hard to mess up anymore and I find it completely reliable.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:08 PM   #10

wow
thanks for the time you spent on this. explains a lot..

roy