Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:13 AM   #11

I think the authors bias against Pentax makes what I read very QUESTIONABLE.
equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:54 AM   #12

equinox wrote:
Quote:
I think the authors bias against Pentax makes what I read very QUESTIONABLE.
What "bias"? Pls elaborate. And, how about YOU?

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:30 PM   #13

I think author is too busy measuring and doesn't have any time left to go outside and actually take some photos. So let's just leave him in his little measuring world and go take some pictures with our Pentax. It'd be more fun and productive than arguing about AF points moved 1mm to the left or right.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:36 PM   #14

Just read the review by Ricehigh.

Question 1 - What camera do you own?

Question 2 - What camera do you use to take photos?

Question 3 - Do youtake general/pleasure photos as do others on this forum?

What I am getting at, is why all the measurements? and why Pentax? I am sure if you check the competitors in as much detail then you will find the same degree of marginal error with their systems. I used to own a Nikon F70 with all the kit and still had problems (occasional) with autofocus/exposure etc - most is down to the operator though.

It seems, to me at least, that you are becoming obsessed with technical details instead of enjoying taking pictures. I am sure we are all guilty of this at times. I recently took a couple of hundreds shots at 2 gigs featuring my step-sons band. I was happy with around a dozen, they found a couple they didn't like.

Rambling now, but in conclusion, take a few hundred pics, showcase 50or so for us to comment on, then decide if photography is a good hobby for you.

Just my opinion of course.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:49 PM   #15

I think there is value in pursuing an in-depth analysis of a camera's performance. As fun as taking pictures is in general, I didn't buy a DSLR just to snap freely at everything around me. With the available control features an SLR provides (aperture, shutter speed, autofocus, light metering, etc.), I have a great array of tools for picture taking, but I need to know that the camera is doing what is says it's doing if I am to learn and improve. Anecdotally, I might notice consistently fuzzy images, but I couldn't know the cause unless I planned a methodical testing procedure. In actuality I have not had focusing issues that I can tell, but I do find my DS to produce consistently dark exposures when aiming for EV = 0. This is easily compensated, but having a heads up can lead to less time spent trying to diagnose the issue.

Ultimately, a given review is an opinion, but the testing methodology employed can be very insightful in interpreting the reviewer's conclusions. I think it's always interesting to hear feedback from someone who has attempted to look closely at the details, even if my personal experience disagrees. My main criticism of RiceHigh's pentax reviews (and of technical reviews in general by various authors) is that he focuses almost exclusively on one item (or line): pentax dSLRs - all the numbers aren't so useful if there aren't other duplicate experiments carried out with other cameras. Back/front focusing, low light performance, etc. - results here don't effectively characterize pentax DSLR performance unless I know how the nikon d50 or rebel XT are doing.
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:29 AM   #16

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I think author is too busy measuring and doesn't have any time left to go outside and actually take some photos. So let's just leave him in his little measuring world and go take some pictures with our Pentax. It'd be more fun and productive than arguing about AF points moved 1mm to the left or right.
Yes, you're absolutely right here. And, I have never taken any photo.

RiceHigh
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:39 AM   #17

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Just read the review by Ricehigh.

Question 1 - What camera do you own?

Question 2 - What camera do you use to take photos?
Pentax cameras.

Quote:
Question 3 - Do you take general/pleasure photos as do others on this forum?
Yes, I do. But I do have one more hobby - measurbation!

Quote:
What I am getting at, is why all the measurements? and why Pentax? I am sure if you check the competitors in as much detail then you will find the same degree of marginal error with their systems. I used to own a Nikon F70 with all the kit and still had problems (occasional) with autofocus/exposure etc - most is down to the operator though.
You may think so. But why don't you think that there are also gear errors and that some cameras are performance better / more accurate than others.

Quote:
Rambling now, but in conclusion, take a few hundred pics, showcase 50 or so for us to comment on, then decide if photography is a good hobby for you.
Can't agree anymore here. I take photos to "please" myself and not to please others. I don't think if others judge that my pics made are junk, then I should give up the hobby. That simply doesn't make any sense at all.

Do note also that I always take junk photos. As such, you can simply suggest me to give up the hobby now according to your "logic".

RiceHigh
Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:42 AM   #18

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
I think there is value in pursuing an in-depth analysis of a camera's performance. As fun as taking pictures is in general, I didn't buy a DSLR just to snap freely at everything around me. With the available control features an SLR provides (aperture, shutter speed, autofocus, light metering, etc.), I have a great array of tools for picture taking, but I need to know that the camera is doing what is says it's doing if I am to learn and improve. Anecdotally, I might notice consistently fuzzy images, but I couldn't know the cause unless I planned a methodical testing procedure. In actuality I have not had focusing issues that I can tell, but I do find my DS to produce consistently dark exposures when aiming for EV = 0. This is easily compensated, but having a heads up can lead to less time spent trying to diagnose the issue.
Exactly!

Quote:
Ultimately, a given review is an opinion, but the testing methodology employed can be very insightful in interpreting the reviewer's conclusions. I think it's always interesting to hear feedback from someone who has attempted to look closely at the details, even if my personal experience disagrees.
Yes, that's what I often remind people of. However, some people do over-react.

Quote:
My main criticism of RiceHigh's pentax reviews (and of technical reviews in general by various authors) is that he focuses almost exclusively on one item (or line): pentax dSLRs - all the numbers aren't so useful if there aren't other duplicate experiments carried out with other cameras. Back/front focusing, low light performance, etc. - results here don't effectively characterize pentax DSLR performance unless I know how the nikon d50 or rebel XT are doing.
Yes, and actually I've already done that and actually at long time ago, see:-

http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/Ca...-55__35mm.html

RiceHigh