Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:54 PM   #1

Thanks everybody for all the well wishes yesterday, am feeling a little better today, still in pain but not quite so severe.

Anyway, I ventured out today, not much about and weather was very dodgy but I stumbled on what I believe is a Hummingbird Hawk Moth, they are not native to the UK and apparantly migrate when it turns colder.

I've never seen one before and these shots aren't up to much but it was nice to see it anyway. I only got about 30 seconds or so before he disappeared.
Attached Images

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:55 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:55 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:59 PM   #4

nice shots ali. we have something similar here. we recently put up a hummer feeder and have had a couple of visitors. nothing worth posting yet tho.

roy
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:03 PM   #5

robar wrote:
Quote:
nice shots ali. we have something similar here. we recently put up a hummer feeder and have had a couple of visitors. nothing worth posting yet tho.

roy
Thanks Roy, I scared him off trying to get too close, I didn't have the tubes on and as it was so cloudy, didn't bother cos it would probably have made it too dark, doubt I will see another one now, oh well.

I quite like my last shot of him, would have liked to have fozen the wing movement slightly, not completely but would have been nice if the wings were a bit more defined rather than a complete blur of movement.

Alison
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:23 PM   #6

I really like the last one (like them all, but the last one is definitely my favorite).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:01 AM   #7

Agree!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:54 AM   #8

Alison

I saw one along the coast here in Hastings last Tuesday morning, by the time I'd grabbed the camera it had gone. I hope we'll see another as the last time they were here was in 2003.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:03 AM   #9

dms25 wrote:
Quote:
Alison

I saw one along the coast here in Hastings last Tuesday morning, by the time I'd grabbed the camera it had gone. I hope we'll see another as the last time they were here was in 2003.

Dom
I think there are more and more of these each year now from what I have read about them. They are incredibly fast aren't they, I just wish I had got more time with this one, doubt I will see another one for a long time now.

Apparantly they are only around for a few days toward the end of summer and then they migrate so keep your eyes open, you never know.

Alison
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:11 PM   #10

Alison,

We've had a couple in our garden over the last couple of weeks, they're definitely becoming more common along the south coast. I think they migrate over form the continent.

Like you say they are always gone before you can get your hands on the camera, s'pose I should alway's keep the camera ready just in case.

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote