Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:45 AM   #1

I tried to take some macros first with vivtar 70-210 and close up filter (+3) very difficult due to lens weight and slow shutter speed. this combitnation also has very shallow DOF.

1/160s f16 iso 200 external flash

1/160s f16 iso 200 external flash

these were taken using kit lens, it's really good for this kind of close ups

1/100s f14 iso200

1/125 f22 iso800

1/100s f22 iso400

1/100s f16 iso 400

all cropped and resized. all comments welcomed.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 8:39 AM   #2

off camera flash works wonders. first rule of thumb with bugs is focus on the eyes. if they are in focus we tend not to see the OOF areas.. very good shots..

roy
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:45 PM   #3

Very nice photos - bugs can be very frustrating. I've used the on-board flash with an FA macro lens for flowers - helps with the slow shutter speed - but Roy is right, getting the flash off the camera would be much better.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:53 PM   #4

kit lens is really amazing for this price. you can get close enough to dragonflies (bigger ones) to fill the frame without using macro lens or closeup filters.

The problem with vivtar and closeup filter is that focal lenght is equiv to 300mm and max shutter with flash only1/180s which makes most of handheld shots blurred from camera shake. need at least monopod to increase succes ratio.

how does it work with proper macro lens? like 100mm. if it's 1:1 how close you have to get to actually get1:1 magnification? my vivitar with +3 diopter focuses in about 8 inches.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:27 PM   #5

for 1:1 with my 105mm the front of the lens is 3-4''. with my 200mm with 64mm ext rings the front of the lens is 30-36'' away and is about 1:3 mag. great for dragons and on/off flash..

just was going to setup my macro rig and to my horror my DIY flash grip was missing. called the motel in phoenix where i stayed last week and now i'm expecting a COD package.. oh well..

roy

edit: you should feel real good about these shots.. they're fantastic..

edit again: the 2nd one is the style i like to shoot. dramatic fore grounds, dark back grounds. like my avatar.

roy