Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:27 PM   #1

my first try at nigh photo. noise reduction off, no pp, only resizing

f16 20sec iso 200 tripod

f16 30sec iso 200 tripod (unfortunatelly there was scaffolding aroun one tower)

any comments?
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:03 PM   #2

I quite like these, not into buildings photography as a rule but some are quite appealling as these are.

I have been passing a church near where I live and think in the winter months I might set up the tripod and have a go myself, been wondering what I will be shooting come winter anyway as most of the bugs will have gone.

Your pics are an inspiration.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:04 PM   #3

gfurm-

Very nicely done. Thanks for posting them.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

are there any rules-of-thumb when to NOT use noise reduction? it seems essential, especially in night shots.

-b
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:22 PM   #5

any comments??

yeah, great night shots.

roy
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:44 PM   #6

You really have some great old buildings in the UK and those are some really nice night shots. I like the upward perspective of the first one the best.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:49 PM   #7

I also like the first one the best. It communicates the scale of the building so much better. They are both very nice night shots.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:57 PM   #8

I like them both - they say different things. The first one is the exception to always straightening your lines - the perspective works very nicely with the lights on the building.

The scaffolding adds to the picture for me - interesting patterns in light and dark. Some day I'll be in an urban area with interesting buildings after dark - I get no practice up here. And I love these well done night shots!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:12 AM   #9

Thank you for your comments, you really make me want to shoot more.

plagued: I have noise reduction always off. if you do 30sex exposure the actual time is 60 sec because nr takes another black frame of the same time as the real photo . so if you do 5 min it takes 10 and so on. waste of time IMO, better to use neatimage, but there's no noise in this photos to remove anyway.

ennacac: these two are not in UK but Poland, been there on my holiday. there are great buildings in UK but couldn't find anything like tese two in Manchester

btw: if you do try nigh photos like this dont worry about passing people, they just don't show on the photos if it's dark enough where they walking. there were few passing on during shooting these two and they not on the photos.
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:04 AM   #10

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
plagued: I have noise reduction always off. if you do 30sex exposure the actual time is 60 sec because nr takes another black frame of the same time as the real photo . so if you do 5 min it takes 10 and so on. waste of time IMO, better to use neatimage, but there's no noise in this photos to remove anyway.
wow, thank you for that. i had no idea that was what the camera was doing. i thought the camera's processor was just that slow that it took the same amount of time that the shutter was released to process the image.

< i feel like this guy..

i did a comparison shot with nr both on and off and could barely tell any kind of difference. this will definitely save me time when i need it. thanks!

awesome shots by the way, i cant wait to get out on a pier and try my hand.

-b
plagued is offline   Reply With Quote