Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:43 PM   #11

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the white balance too. I agree that the auto white balance seems off. I guess I will need to manually set it each time.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:55 PM   #12

welcome to the pentax forum..
you made the right decision!!

i've done almost the exact image you have in the first image. can i ask if it was raining outside when you took it?? well, guess i can , since i did..

roy
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:51 AM   #13

robar,

nope it was quite sunny outside. that photo was taken on my bathroom sink.
here are some more details:
- Tv = 1/180
- Av = 11.0
- Iso= 200
- Exposure comp = 0
- Mini tripod
- Flash on

What I did was set up a bucket with an aquarium hose which siphoned water out of it and dripped into a glass bowl. I filled the glass bowl level with water. The hard part was getting the depth of field correct. I secured the hose so that there was a continuous stream of water drops that would consistently hit the exact same spot. I then layed a pencil across the surface of the glass bowl pointing to the spot where the water drop would land. I taped the pencil down. Using the tip of the pencil as my point of focus, I manually focussed the lens onto that spot. I couldn't use autofocus because the camera would freak out when trying to focus on those fast moving drops. Now that I had my plane of focus set up, I took away the pencil and began taking pictures one at a time with flash. After that, it's just a matter of luck, capturing the best shot with the water droplet suspended. It was a very interesting exercise to do. I learned alot about the camera.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:54 AM   #14

oh and thanks for the welcome to the pentax forum. it feels so good to have found a home! all of my friends have canon dslr. i felt like the odd sheep.