Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:32 AM   #1

I have the ist dl an have been happy with the results for the most part. I was disappointed by the slowish autofocus of the DL and decided to test the K100d. I finally found one at a Ritz camera about an hour away from my home. Testing side by side in store with a DL and K100d, both with kit lens 18-55, I saw only a slight increase in AF speed not the 2x as others have reported. The K100d seemed to have a more powerful focus motor with a higher pitch.

When trying to focus on two black camera bags about 10 feet away in the store both cameras could not focus. Back and forth the lens went for about 2-3 seconds. The store was very bright and there was no other problems focusing and both cameras performed similarly. Other cameras had no difficulty focusing on the bags(I tried them all: D50,D70s, A100. 350D, 30D) and were quicker focusing overall than any of the Pentax, DS included.

Since this was my only real gripe with the ist DL, I am sticking with what I have, for now. The stabilization feature is great, but not something I want to upgrade for at this time. I did not test any other aspects of the K100d nor did I test image quality. I noticed it felt slightly heavier, I liked that the focus point lights up like other makes, and the 4-way and exposure buttons seem more refined. Also, I prefer the ist DL's eyecup to the one on the K100d.

If the focus speed was faster I would have bought it then and there, though my wife would have killed me(expensive new hobby). Now I anxously await the rumored 10mp version. More resolution and stabilization would be a worthy upgrade for me.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:26 AM   #2

Seems to be the same viewpoint as in Amateur Photographer.

Good camera, BUT.. not good enough to warrent an upgrade for existing users.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:07 AM   #3
TDN

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
Seems to be the same viewpoint as in Amateur Photographer.

Good camera, BUT.. not good enough to warrent an upgrade for existing users.

Darren
let's hope the K10D will bring some change in that

Too bad I won't be able to get online when they release it, I'm in Turkey till sept. 19th...

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:40 PM   #4

It would be nice to know if the non-Pentax cameras really focused on that black bag accurately (when viewed on a PC monitor) or just gave up and made out they were in focus.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:51 PM   #5

I've personally found the K100D faster to focus under good conditions (not sure I would go so far as to say 2x), but will still hunt if there isn't enough contrast. Initially I thought the jpg conversion was better, and it did a great job when I went to an outdoor car show (couldn't ask for better picctures froma camera), but when I actually shot the same scene at the same time with the DS and the K100D, I saw little difference - certainly not enough to go out and buy one. The extra scenes that the K100D offers might be nice, but the only one I thought I might use would be the snow mode, though I didn't feel a need for it with the DS last winter.

However, I REALLY appreciate the SR - it's made a bigger difference than I was expecting. That's the main reason I can see for upgrading from a DS or DL, and it's enough for me not to regret spending the money to get it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:47 PM   #6

the ''scene modes'' are just for those that do not know how to set the cam exposure up on their on.. i've never used them. i'd be real happy if they were entirely left off any future model. all they do is keep people from exploring the capabilities of theircamera.. just my 2 cents. please feel free to diagree..

roy
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:50 AM   #7

My "tests" were in P and Av mode if that helps. I like the idea of the scene modes. When I am done shooting, I set the camera to Auto for my wife. She is not very techie at all and would appreciate the scene modes if she could figure them out. I have noticed that I rarely use the scene modes and am mostly in Av mode and sometimes P. I think Pentax should incorporate a shift mode for P like the other brands. A nice feature for trying different exposures and learning.

My problem with the focusing lies with the fact I have small children that are their cutest when they are happily running around. Unfortunately, this seems to be the hardest thing for me to get the DL to focus. Static scenes, this camera Rocks! Action is truly hit and miss. I am slowly getting better, but I feel other brands would be better for this situation.

I would imagine the other cameras focused accurately on the bags because they have an AF assist light built in(not part of flash,except the a100) and the fact that they did not hesitate at all. I am not really interested in the other cameras, because I have a nice investment in Pentax and like the overall quality. I am estimating it to be about $300 to upgrade to the K100d from the DL. Not worthwhile in my opinion for stabilization.

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:46 AM   #8

robar wrote:
Quote:
the ''scene modes'' are just for those that do not know how to set the cam exposure up on their on.. i've never used them. i'd be real happy if they were entirely left off any future model. all they do is keep people from exploring the capabilities of theircamera.. just my 2 cents. please feel free to diagree..

roy
I guess I would have to disagree but my viewpoint is one of someone brand new to SLR cameras. I don't think too many people will pay the extra for a Dslr unless they are planning to really learn how to use it, much cheaper to get a higher end point and shoot. But, if I had to take some important photograph tomorrow I would definately use one of the scene modes or the fully automatic one. IMO, these modes allow me to use the camera confidently while I work on bridging the gap between what I now know and what I want to know. As Jon pointed out also, it is a feature that allows the camera to be used by other family members who might have a smaller knowledge base. It is probably smart for Pentax (or any other maker) to have these modes on an entry level Dslr. Now, a high end Dslr would be another story, Iwould think.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:32 PM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
I guess I would have to disagree but my viewpoint is one of someone brand new to SLR cameras. I don't think too many people will pay the extra for a Dslr unless they are planning to really learn how to use it, much cheaper to get a higher end point and shoot. But, if I had to take some important photograph tomorrow I would definately use one of the scene modes or the fully automatic one. IMO, these modes allow me to use the camera confidently while I work on bridging the gap between what I now know and what I want to know. As Jon pointed out also, it is a feature that allows the camera to be used by other family members who might have a smaller knowledge base. It is probably smart for Pentax (or any other maker) to have these modes on an entry level Dslr. Now, a high end Dslr would be another story, Iwould think.

Tim
In the case of the dSLR that Pentax has put out I find that the addition of scene modes gives a point-n-shoot user a bridge to crossover to. Possibly a good marketing strategy as the money is made in lenses and accessories. From there they can expand their knowledge and get the most out of what the camera can offer.

This being an entry level dSLR I can see that it being useful to the casual user and seasoned veterans who have a good glass collection from their film days and can go fully manual to their hearts content.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote