Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:43 PM   #11

Fred666 wrote:
Quote:
What setup are you trying: camera, lens, camera settings etc

Darren

ds, 105mmat 8', f8-16, M mode, 1/500 HSS. iso 200 , cam flash says good to 15-20'.. under exposes

s*** , i'll start a new thread..

roy
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:29 PM   #12

Darren-

What I had in mind was using the camera in the P for program mode. Then using the Exposure Compensation feature, the small button adjacent to the shutter release, for fine tuning your exposure.

Here is what I do: I have in my mind exactly what a near perfect exposure looks like when viewed on the DSLR's LCD screen. I take my photo, and after inspecting the result on the LCD viewing screen, I use the Exposure Compensation feature to either increase or decrease the exposure as needed.

gf-

WhileI like the Sigma EF-500 a lot, IMHO you would most probably feel measurably more secure using a Pentax brand flash.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:13 PM   #13

Thanks for the clarification Sarah.

Why would the Pentax flash be better, now that I have just spent £170 on the Sigma?

Darren

Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:57 PM   #14

Darren-

Please give me a moment of your attention. gf has had a more than the usual adaptation problems, complicatedwith measurably severe flash doubts, therefore to ease his feeling and to give him a measure of more security I recommended the Pentax brand flash. True, it is an added cost. However that might be the best course of action for him.

I trully believe that the Sigma EF 500 is the best answer. However, for those who are not willing to do some "fine tuning" perhaps the extra cost of the Pentax brand flash is justified.

I remain resolute in my position. For me at least, and I believe you as well, Darren, the Sigma EF 500 Flash is the best, andmore economical answer to the flash equation.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:52 PM   #15

Darren said: "Why would the Pentax flash be better, now that I have just spent £170 on the Sigma?"

That is an excellent question, and despite my perseverance, I still haven't gotten an answer to that qustion, other than that I have "more than the usual adaptation problems, complicatedwith measurably severe flash doubts", andneeding "a measure of more security."

The nut of the question would go one step further.Does the Pentax truly offer a "greater sense of security" and predictability, and if so, in what ways?

Is the answer "the Sigma is over $100 cheaper and its just as good (and compatible/predictable) as the Pentax."

Or is the answer "the Sigma is over $100 cheaper but it will not be as compatible as the Pentax in the following ways (A, B, and C under shooting scenarios X, Y, and Z) and is not as well suited to someone that doesn't want to spend his creative time trying to match up slightly incompatible equipment."

Sarah's response sounds like she is a little tired of my trying to get a meaningful answer, and has said in effect, just go out and get the d----- Pentax and leave us alone....without providing meaningful reasons.

gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #16

gf-

Inall honesty, I have sincerely and completely answered every onr of your questions. Can I do more than that?

It appears to me that there is no way that I can give you an answer that will truly be satisfactory to you. Therefore, in as much as I have been unable to hit the mark for you, I bow out and move onward. Good luck to you andI hope that you will indeed find the answers that you require.

SoI bid you, good luck. Perhaps somoneelse can provide you with that elusive "meaningful"answer that you so desire. But it seems like it will probably not be me.

MT/Sarah

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:59 AM   #17

gf,
if i had an extra $350 i'd get the pantax and give you a comparison but i don't and can't. the sigma seems great shooting at sync speed. it's a great flash. i have no problems with it ,
what ''I'' want out of it tho seems to be a little elusive. i've reRTFM and i see that i'm asking more from it than it's intended to provide. i have NO doubts that the pentax is the same.. your quotes below sound like they came from ''measurbations''. since i do not read any of the posts made by this 'ehhum' person anymore i can't be sure.. try googling for a sigma/pentax comparison and see what comes up.. the only way you'll get a complete comparison is from someone with both flashes.. i can't afford both.. maybe ''measurebations'' can.

roy

gfmucci wrote:
Quote:
Darren said: "Why would the Pentax flash be better, now that I have just spent £170 on the Sigma?"

That is an excellent question, and despite my perseverance, I still haven't gotten an answer to that qustion, other than that I have "more than the usual adaptation problems, complicatedwith measurably severe flash doubts", andneeding "a measure of more security."

The nut of the question would go one step further.Does the Pentax truly offer a "greater sense of security" and predictability, and if so, in what ways?

Is the answer "the Sigma is over $100 cheaper and its just as good (and compatible/predictable) as the Pentax."

Or is the answer "the Sigma is over $100 cheaper but it will not be as compatible as the Pentax in the following ways (A, B, and C under shooting scenarios X, Y, and Z) and is not as well suited to someone that doesn't want to spend his creative time trying to match up slightly incompatible equipment."

Sarah's response sounds like she is a little tired of my trying to get a meaningful answer, and has said in effect, just go out and get the d----- Pentax and leave us alone....without providing meaningful reasons.

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:47 PM   #18

Roy has said it very well-

The choice of the Sigma brand flash versus the Pentax brand flash, I agree is all a matter of money. Feature-wise the two flashes are very similiar. In the final analyis, it is a matter of personal choice.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:20 PM   #19

Thanks Roy and Sarah for your efforts. My questions weren't asked of any specific person, but were asked of whoever might have an answer - so please don't feel like I'm pounding you for answers. And I read some some of Measurbations stuff, and just shoot me:| if I go that far.

So far based on the information I received, it appears that both flashes are identical (except the wide-angle screen on the Sigma is quoted in the specs as being a bit wider) and any differences in compatibility between the two with a current Pentax dSLR are "probably" negligible, but really undefined and we're really not sure yet.
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:20 PM   #20

I think most people here acknowledge when using a DLSR that exact specifications don't always work, thats why the camera comes with Flash compensation and exposure compensation for when exact settings just don't cut it.

We are all future perfectionists all looking for that pefect photo...always looking..:-)

Sarah's recommendation for buying the Pentax addressed the situation you were asking by simply stating that if you had any issues with the performance of the camera and flash , you would be well within your rights to jump up and down at Pentax, god bless them.

But if you went with the Sigma, which a lot seem to have, then Pentax might suggest the flash issues you MIGHT incur are a flash compatibility issue...Thats all.

The issue that some of us have had that we have posted about is putting on an "Aftermarket or third party" flash diffuser. The flashes when manufactured (Pentax and Sigma) were NOT designed with a flash diffuser on them.

So the advantage of the flash diffuser is offset by having to tweak a little the exp comp or flash comp. And we reserve the right to gripe about it it...a little bit...:lol:

Roy's issue is he is ALWAYS ALWAYS looking for the best shot he can and he is using High Speed Sync, which a lot of us don't and probabaly won't use regularly.

As a result there is some tweaking involved as if I recall Roy, you are shooting MACRO. :| I bet his flash issues in Macro mode are nothing compared to his DOF nd focusing issues...:?:?:?

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote