Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 21, 2006, 6:42 PM   #1

Just ordered this flashgun, based on the reports on this forum, and the excellent flash tutorial given by Sarah and co.

Ordered the ST first, with Amazon - 2 week wait. Cancelled tonight and used a different supplier, Warehouseexpress.com, delivery of the super on Wednesday.

I hope this is as good as I have been led to believe.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2

i recently got the super. as a regular flash it's great. with a diffusser on at regular sync at 1/180 it's fine. i am having some trouble calibrating it at high speed sync with the diffusser on it.. i know it will take time to get it down and i've gotten some outstanding results with it, but i keep making newbie mistakes with it like not setting it and the cam up correctly. the prob is that i don't have my off cam rig. i know i'll get better results from it once that comes home..
the manual is ok. a lot better than the ds or dl manual. at times i actually understand it..lol..

darren, if you need help with it please ask sarah,, no,, just kidding, sarah.. set the cam on 4* jpg and shoot away. i've gotten at least 200 shots so far. there are just of stuff laying around that i delete as soon as i evaluate them. guess i also should say i got this flash mainly for it's HSS capabilities when i'm shooting macros. you may be using it for completely different applications..

roy
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:41 AM   #3

I think the EF500 flashes are spot on, I have noticed though that if you use a diffuser, I use an omni-bounce, then it does have a tendency to over expose.

Seems strange to think that when you cover the flash with some opaque plastic that it actually flashes brighter.

I find that if I want extra range I put the difuser on. If I want the advantages of the diffuser (softer shadows etc) at normal ranges then I dial back my flash compensation in the menu.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 3:30 AM   #4

Thanks guys - I have already read the maual online, and yes it does seem to be very clear and easy to understand, but... when I have the item in hand I am sure it will go back to being confusing!

As for the diffuser, I bought a Sto-fen one as it seems to be the best compromise, as it is small enough to take everywhere, and give good results.

The flash would seem to be very similar in spec to the Nikon SB26 I used to have.

Hopefully just as easy to use.

I will bear in mind that I may need to compensate for over-exposure with the flash - seems to be the failing with the DL2 that flash can be a bit hit or miss.

And yes the ability to use HSS looks good.

Oh well, one more day!

Darren
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:10 PM   #5

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I think the EF500 flashes are spot on, I have noticed though that if you use a diffuser, I use an omni-bounce, then it does have a tendency to over expose.

Seems strange to think that when you cover the flash with some opaque plastic that it actually flashes brighter.

I find that if I want extra range I put the difuser on. If I want the advantages of the diffuser (softer shadows etc) at normal ranges then I dial back my flash compensation in the menu.

Crash
I found exactly the same thing. Initial tests seem to be -1.0 on the flash with the Sto-fen on. But the diffuser gives nicer flash with better colour, so I will stick with that.

Still strange though. Guess I will have to re-read the flash thread now though.

Darren

Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:02 PM   #6

i'm having nothing but trouble with mine. underexposes all the time even with +1 set on the flash and +1 set on the cam. if i go TTL it's perfect but that's not why i bought it. HSS is the reason...

back later..

roy
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7

What setup are you trying: camera, lens, camera settings etc

Darren

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:04 PM   #8

Darren-

The Sto-fen difusser is a good one, and I find that I like the quality of the light a bit better as well. Just remember that any time a difusser is used, a bit of exposure compensation will be required to "fine tune" the exposure.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:05 PM   #9

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Darren-

The Sto-fen difusser is a good one, and I find that I like the quality of the light a bit better as well. Just remember that any time a difusser is used, a bit of exposure compensation will be required to "fine tune" the exposure.

MT/Sarah
Sorry to be dense, but what sort of exposure compensation should I be looking at? Used in full auto or AV with the diffuser on, I dial back the flash -1.0 otherwise everything looks washed out.

Darren
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:42 PM   #10

Well, most or all of the folks on this thread are several years more experienced with dLSR and related flash technique than I. And it looks like there is somewhat of a learning curve for the Sigma on the Pentax even for the experienced folk.

Which brings up this issue: I understand that, generally speaking, there are more compatibility issues with using flashes of a brand different from the camera than using same branded devices. Has anyone experienced the Pentax AF540FGZ yet? It has similar specs to the Sigmabut costs $100 more. Can anyone tell me if similar tweaking issues you are having with the Sigma are likely to or do occur on the Pentax? Is there any value in terms of compatibility and less fussing around to "get it right" using the same brand flash as the camera? Or would they both likely require this putzing aroundin the scenarios you are shooting? Less experienced folk would enjoy less putzing than more.

Question in short: Does the $100 extra for the Pentax brand pay to overcome any significant compatibility issues?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote